Thursday, September 16, 2010

Enlightened Design

Okay, I confess.  I watched the Disney Electric Light Parade (or whatever they call it now) a million times growing up, and I always wanted to wear one of the light-up dresses.  Heck, I'm thirty years old, and I still want to wear the light-up dresses.  You know, the ones like Alice and Cinderella and Snow White wore, that had the umpteen-gazillion lights attached?  They fascinated me.  I couldn't figure out how they kept them lit, or what stopped them from burning through the fabric.

Well, apparently, I'm not the only girl who wanted to wear the fancy illuminated frocks--only, this girl figured out how to make them, and how to make them wearable.  I mean, we can't all go around wearing Princess Aurora costumes, can we?  Really, can we (that might be fun)?

Diana Eng is a self-proclaimed "Fashion Nerd":  one who enjoys smart fashion for smart people.  Her designs incorporate science, math, and technology to create inflatable gowns, electronic accessories, and yes, light-up dresses (LED lights!  Brilliant!).  She's a highly accomplished young woman with an insane resume that includes Project Runway, Victoria's Secret, and so much more that I'm just going to link to it.  I promise, you'll be impressed.

In February, Eng held a "Fairytale Fashion Show" to show off her creations.  The results were incredible, and I just had to share some of them with you.  I don't want to step on anyone's copyright, so here's a link.  Trust me, you don't want to miss this.  I'm dying to wear the blue dress in the big picture under the headline.

If you know of any smart, stylish women you'd like to see highlighted on Adorable Napalm, let me know in the comments.

Let's head over to the magic bag o' samples, shall we?  Today, we have DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom Eau de Parfum.  $40 for 1oz., Sephora.com. 

Now, if you recall, I wrote a review of DKNY Be Delicious a little while back (on another Disney Princess related post, oddly enough), and I wasn't super thrilled with it.  In fact, one of my main gripes was that it didn't smell like apples, even though it's touted as an apple fragrance.  Well, this one is supposed to be a floral scent, and the first thing I picked up on was apple!  What gives? 

Anyway, according to Sephora:
DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom is a radiant new fragrance that marries freshness, vibrancy, and femininity. A blend of sparkling grapefruit, cassis, and sunkissed apricot meets a blooming floral heart of sheer muguet and petally rose wrapped in luminous jasmine. A base of juicy apple, mingled with lingering blond woods and smooth skin accord, completes the irresistibly sensual experience of the essence.

Ah, there's the apple.  It's the base.  Gotcha.  Well, it's very prominent, and very nice.  The rose and jasmine scents come out nicely, as well.  It's a lovely fragrance--fresh and clean--and if you like fruity florals, this could be for you.  Unfortunately, I just can't wear it.  It's given me the worst headache, and that's a real shame because I liked this scent.  Final Verdict:  Beautiful, if you can handle the flora.

2 comments:

  1. uh-oh. i knew we were in for it when i read the description. my sinuses started hurting in defense when i saw "blooming floral heart." that's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It smells absolutely gorgeous, but it's killing my sinuses.

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...