Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Challenge!: $20 Makeup Look

The other day, one of my favorite vloggers, DivaMakeupQueen, posted a video on the $20 Makeup Challenge Tag. At the end, she tagged everyone who viewed the video. Now, I'm not a vlogger, and even if I were, I doubt she'd ever know if I'd welched on the dare, but I'm too honest for my own good. So, without further ado, I give you:

The $20 Makeup Challenge!!!

(BTDubs, this is a heckuvalot harder than it sounds.)

The Rules: Pretend you have a $20 bill. Using only products and tools that you could purchase with that bill, put together a full face of makeup from start to finish. I will warn you, the end result is not the best. I mean, I could have lived with it for the day, if I'd needed to, but it's not my best look.
Okay, first, let's just get this picture over with...

GAH!!!! SHE'S A WITCH! BURN HER!!
This is after getting soaked in a flash storm, so please bear with me.
So...yeah...it looked a lot better in person. Let's start with products used and the grand total:

E.L.F. Mineral Foundation in Warm applied with included Mini Kubuki Brush: $5
E.L.F. Essentials Eyeshadow Primer as primer and concealer (better than nothing): $1
Profusion Spotlight Eyeshadow and Lipgloss Palette, applied with included applicator: $4
E.L.F. Studio Blush in Pink Passion, applied with Mini Kubuki Brush: $3
Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush Mascara: $6
Total: $19

If I'd had a $1 black eyeliner, that would have helped tremendously. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Now, let's talk about what went right with this look. Right off the bat, I'd say the color was great. You can see from the photo just how pretty and bright that blush is, and how soft, shiny, and pigmented that lipgloss is (which was applied with my finger, by the way). The shadows went on smoothly and blended well, even with a dinky little sponge-tipped applicator, and the foundation covered well and looks nice and glowy. Plus, believe it or not, the mini kubuki brush didn't suck. It's not my first choice, but it didn't create any problems. I truly believe that having a good, inexpensive palette that took care of more than one area of the face helped salvage this challenge.

Alrighty, now for the wrong. If nothing else, I needed a moisturizer in the worst way. Going one better, I really needed a primer. I was born with expression lines in my forehead, and you'd be hard pressed to catch me on a day when I didn't have on some form of a primer (today, it's part of my beauty balm). I also hate the lack of eyeliner. I tried using an eyeshadow, but without a decent brush to apply it, it really didn't work.

Other thoughts: A real concealer would have been helpful in brightening up the undereye area. My brows are actually in decent shape, so I'm okay with leaving them as is.

Wheel Of Morality, turn, turn, turn! Tell us the lesson that we should learn!: High quality color doesn't have to come with a high price tag, and there's no substitute for a good moisturizer and primer. If you're going to invest in something, invest in those.

So, who do I tag? ALL OF YOU!!! Leave your responses in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...