Tuesday, August 20, 2013

'Ip, 'Ip, 'Ooray! August Ipsy Unbagging

I can't believe it's already time for the August ipsy unbagging! This Summer has flown by. Before too long, it'll be time for pumpkins and ghosts. Heck, the Hobby Lobby near me already has Christmas decorations out. Maybe next month I should go pick out my Valentines...

Anyhoo, here's what I got in my "Glamour Academy" bag:


You know, I saw spoilers before I received the bag, and I thought I was going to HATE the "cheesy" gold crests. I even had a DIY project all planned out to fix it up. Surprisingly, I kind of love this bag in person. The eggplant and gold look beautiful together, and the whole design gives off a Harry Potter-like vibe. I'm digging it; not going to lie.

Inside the bag I found Pacifica BB Cream, Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Scrub, City Color Cheek Stain in Pink, Noya Lip Balm in Vanilla, and Pixi Lash Booster Mascara in Blackest Black. I received my bag on Friday, right before I left to go out of town for the weekend, and took them all with me. I've used these items for a few days now, so I think I can give you some real, honest-to-God reviews on them. We'll go in order of favorite to least.

Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Scrub: Wowzers! This is one that I might actually buy. It left my skin feeling clean, soft, smooth, and refreshed. Thomas used it too, and really enjoyed it. It's a black scrub that you can really feel working, but doesn't hurt. It also wiped away with no residue, which is always a plus. My skin had been ravaged by a weekend of road-tripping and pop culture convention-ing, so this scrub was really put to the test, and passed with flying colors.

Noya Lip Balm in Vanilla: It's a lip balm. I wish I could say that it was life-changing, but I can't. It smells good (like cupcakes) and moisturizes my lips, but I don't think it's any better than my Fresh Sugar Treatment, Burt's Bees, or Blistex. It is all-natural, though, so that might be a deal maker for some folks.

City Color Cheek Stain in Pink: This is a pretty decent cream blush stick. I don't know about staining, per se, but I didn't notice any fading. The color appears downright scary in the stick, but sheers out to a lovely pink flush. I can't see myself reaching for it all the time, personally (I'm more of a peachy-pink or dusty rose kind of girl), but it would be great for travel.

Pacifica BB Cream: This...kind of sucks. I really hate that, too, because I love Pacifica and was excited to try this product. It provides zero coverage, and doesn't do that great of a job evening out my skin tone. On top of that, it's super shimmery. Yes, the shine does lessen with powder. Yes, it does look more even after concealer. No, I will not be buying this. It's fine in a pinch, but that's about it. The color "adjusts" to your skin tone, supposedly. It looks too dark to me, but ended up blending in well, so maybe it does adjust. I don't know. It would probably work well on legs, if nothing else. Save yourself some money and get the Garnier BB Cream if you're in the market for a good drugstore find with a radiant finish.

Pixie Lash Booster Mascara in Blackest Black: No. Just...no. It did nothing for my lashes. After two coats, they were slightly tinted. Also, the mascara went everywhere during application. The brush is okay, but the formula is terrible. I'm a Buxom fan, and this did nothing to sway me. If you want a more natural look, give Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes a try. It's less in-your-face than the Buxom, but a much better formula than the Pixie.

This was not a great month for ipsy--for me, anyway. I definitely got more than my ten bucks' worth, but I'm really only going to use two, maybe three of the items on a regular basis. That said, this was my first "dud" month out of five, so that's not too shabby. I'm already excited to see what September brings!

P.S. If you're interested in ipsy, here's my referral code. Yes, there are rewards for referring people, but they're not great enough for me to blindly shill for them. I genuinely like the program. :)   http://www.ipsy.com/?refer=u-hckwnapypcnq7c4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...