Friday, October 18, 2013

Should It "Stick" Around?: Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation Review

The other day, I ran across the new(ish) Maybelline Fit Me Shine-Free foundation stick that everyone's been talking about. I had a coupon that made the price around $6, so I decided to give it a try. After all, it is Fall, and I'm not sure how well bold lipstick goes with BB Cream. It seemed time to amp up the foundation.

Short version: I freaking love this stuff. It's awesome. It's not perfect, but I'm digging it.

Long version: (buckle up, buttercup)

I have tested this product out thoroughly. I've worn it with a silicone primer, with a serum-like primer, with no primer and a setting spray, and all by its little lonesome, and there is no difference in performance. It is what it is, just FYI.

The product comes in a stick form that twists up. It's larger than a concealer stick, but still very compact and travel-friendly. The product, itself, is a cylinder of foundation with a powder core, which is supposed to help keep your makeup looking matte. It's not matte. I'd classify it more as a natural finish, bordering on slightly dewy. It looks like skin, which I happen to love, but I could see where someone purchasing this for a completely matte look would be less than thrilled.

Now it's time for the brave no-makeup "before" shot:

Oh, lovely. I don't remember if I even had on moisturizer here. Hide the kiddies so this doesn't give them nightmares.
And here's the after, with (thank God) finished makeup:


I am really impressed with this. It's medium coverage, so it evens out my skin to the point that I don't have to use a ton of concealer, but doesn't look cakey or overdone. Basically, it's sort of like a step up from the BB Cream I normally use, and perfect for everyday. I just swiped it across my cheeks, nose, chin, and forehead, and blended in with a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. Fingers would probably work well, too. I'm just partial to brushes.

As I stated earlier, this really isn't a matte finish. I find that, on its own, it has almost a glowy finish, and does need to be set with a powder to keep from sliding all over the place. Once it has set, the foundation has more of a natural finish. The staying power is pretty good. I do need to top off my powder a couple of times throughout the day, but I haven't noticed any bare spots or patchiness. There also doesn't appear to be any oxidation over the course of wear, and the shade matches my skin tone perfectly. I could only guess at the store, and 120 is dead on the money for my NW15 complexion. Honestly, I don't remember the last time a foundation matched me this well. My Urban Decay Naked Skin in 2.0 is super-duper close, but...I mean, this is spot-on, can't tell there's anything there, exact.


Folks, I'm going to level with you: this is my favorite foundation right now. I haven't even considered reaching my BB Cream, MAC, or UD since I started using this last week. In fact, I almost moved my other foundations from the countertop organizer to my train case, the other day. The case is in my closet, and filled with out-of-season and rarely used items--a dungeon for makeup. I'd give you a pro/con list on this, but I really can't complain about anything. It covers the perfect amount for everyday, wears well, doesn't smell bad (or at all), doesn't break me out, travels easily, matches my skin, applies nicely, and is ridiculously cheap. I guess, if I had to find something wrong, it could stand to have some SPF, but the absence just means that it won't flash back in photos. I would also have to deduct points for not holding up to the claim of staying shine-free, even though I personally adore the finish.

This is a definite winner, and has earned a place of honor in my organizer. If you're in the market for a new foundation and have six bucks to play with, I highly recommend giving this a shot.

Final Verdict: 9.5 out of 10. If you want matte-matte, keep looking. Aside from that, this is fabulous.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...