Tuesday, December 20, 2011

To Us and Our Good Fortune! L'Chaim!

Photo Credit: Shmaltz Brewing
I learned something today:

#1. If you type "Hanukkah" into Google, a pretty little garland made up of tiny Stars of David appears.
#2. The Jewish people have a rich history of brewing beer. Who knew?

This article from NPR (a fun read that I highly recommend) explains that brewing, while not mentioned in the Hebrew bible, is a long-standing tradition that reaches as far back as the Babylonian Exile. I had no idea, and frankly, I find that fascinating.

With that, I bring you the only two Hanukkah-themed beers I could find: 8 Malty Nights and Jewbelation Fifteen!

8 Malty Nights is from Lompoc Brewing out of Portland, Oregon. It's a chocolate rye with a sweet finish, which sounds amazing, even to this non-beer drinker (I'll have a Riesling, thank you). Unfortunately, it seems to be available only in the Portland area. If you happen to be in that neck of the woods, have a brew and tell us how it was, please!

Jewbelation Fifteen (I love these names!) is a combination of fifteen malts and fifteen hops to celebrate the Shmaltz Brewing Company's fifteenth anniversary. Shmaltz's line of HE'BREW beers is available throughout most of the country, with Louisiana as the newest addition. You can check for retailers in your area by clicking here.

Happy Hanukkah, everyone!

1 comment:

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...