Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Are You a Good Witch Or a Bad Witch?

Photo Credit: Urban Decay
This showed up in an email today, and I'm curious as to what you guys think. Please leave a comment below to weigh in.

Urban Decay and Disney have teamed up to release two limited-edition Build Your Own Palettes, pre-filled with shadows inspired by OZ: The Great and Powerful. Now, these are three of my favorite things (UD, the Mouse, and the Yellow Brick Road), all rolled into one neat package. So, why am I not more excited?

Don't get me wrong, I totally want one, and I think they're a great value, monetarily speaking, but I'm not over the moon, and that kind of makes me sad.

Here are the details:
For $49.00, you will receive your choice of the Theodora palette or the Glinda palette, each featuring eight all-new shades. Four shades are singles, and two shades are duos. The color selection in each palette is supposedly based on the actresses' makeup looks in the film. The Theodora palette features deep neutrals with pops of green and navy, and Glinda is predominately pink and purple with several sparkling options. The shades are housed in (nicely mirrored) tins that were designed to reflect each character's personality. Theodora's tin is black with green, and Glinda's is pink and sparkly. Each comes with a travel 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil (Black or Eggplant for Theodora or Glinda, respectively), and a Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Color in Red or Pinky-Beige (again, Theodora or Glinda, respectively).

These are two absolutely gorgeous palettes, no question. I ran the numbers on them, and if you purchased the items individually (which you can't, as they're all exclusive to these palettes), the final total would run upwards of $127. I couldn't add in the price for the travel eyeliner, as UD doesn't sell them individually.

Here's my problem: I want to build my own. I don't want all of the neutrals in the Theodora palette. I already own both Naked palettes and the Naked Basics. As far as neutrals are concerned, I'm good. On the other hand, pinks aren't always my best color, either. Hot pink? Sure. Baby pink? I look ill. I do, however, want the all of the duos. Good greens aren't always easy to come by, the navy/gold duo is just stunning, the shimmering whites that reflect either red or blue sound freaking cool, and who couldn't use silver and gold glitter from time to time? I want those, and I can't get them without buying both sets.

Of the two, if you're looking for one to give you the most complete eye looks, I'd go with the Theodora. They'll all be pretty dark and dramatic, and more geared for Fall than Spring, but I feel like you could come up with a decent number of looks with those colors. The Glinda palette has a couple of full looks in it, but it strikes me as being more of a completer set. You're getting two highlighters, two glitter accents, two "lid" colors, and two smoky lid/crease colors (as far I can see).

Were I to buy one, I'd get the Glinda, because it has more colors that are unlike any I already own. I just can't see shelling out (let's call it what it is) fifty bucks for some nice glitters in a pretty tin. If it's still out around my birthday, maybe I'll hit up my family with the suggestion. In the meantime, I'll hope against hope that UD will decide to sell just the duos as a set, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...