Monday, January 21, 2013

Review: Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub

I ran out of my Olay Skin Smoothing Cream Scrub--which I love--and thought that now would be a good time to try out this Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub that I keep seeing everywhere. I've been using the Simple wipes for months and really like them, and my Mom's been raving about their undereye roller. Ulta sent me a $5 off coupon, so really, there was no time like the present. I snapped up one of the last bottles in the store, and excitedly went home to wash my face.

Um...I don't like it. At all. Not. A. Fan.

Let's break this down:

The Good
I like the packaging. The product comes in an inverted Spring green squeeze tube. The tube is also translucent, so you can see how much product you have left and not be caught off guard by an empty tube. The print work on the tube is attractive and...well, simple. I'm also impressed by Simple's promise to never use dyes, fragrances, or irritants, as well as their low price point. This tube was $7.99 before coupon.

The Bad
This stuff smells awful. I'm all for not using perfumes, but this product doesn't smell "natural"; in fact, it smells downright chemical. That's actually the word Thomas used to describe it when I asked him to sniff the tube. To me, the scrub reeks of bug spray. It's just not pleasant.

Another thing that's not pleasant is the exfoliator. Simple uses rice granules, but they're so large that they don't so much smooth your skin as assault it. If I wanted to scrape my skin, I could just use my fingernails, thank you. Also, the granules do not dissolve, so if you use this in the bath (and I do), the granules stay in the bath water. Granted, this does mean that they, in effect, scrub your entire body, but not well, not comfortably, and not on purpose. It's just kind of gross.

The Ugly
In in a fancy circle on the front of the tube, you'll see the word "moisturizing". Ignore that. My skin has felt tight and dry after each washing. I've also experienced some breakouts, but I can't definitively point to this as the culprit. I'm pretty sure, but can't say for a fact.

I'm stuck with this stuff for the moment, so I'll keep you posted if anything new develops. The wipes are great. I've really enjoyed the toner. This is not up to par with those. If you're looking for an inexpensive scrub, go with the Olay. I know I will be.

Final Verdict: 3.6 out of 10. Try the line, but skip this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...