Thursday, June 13, 2013

Putting the Lime (or Vanilla) in the Coconut: E.L.F. Studio Lotion Wipes First Impression

Did you know that Walmart carried E.L.F. now? Surprise!! I had to run in the store yesterday, and was greeted by a really nice display, filled with all sorts of essential and studio line goodies. As it happened, I had used up the last of my beloved Pacifica Island Coconut body lotion that morning, and was (and am) not in any real position to replace it anytime soon, so I called it kismet and picked up a pack of the E.L.F. Studio Lotion Wipes in the only available scent (it's fate, I tell you), Vanilla & Coconut. Today, I thought I'd give them a whirl and share my first impression of the product.

Honestly...it's kind of neat.

I'm going to start this off by saying that I will totally be replacing my Pacifica as soon as I can. There is absolutely no comparison between the two items. However, I do have some definite use for the E.L.F. wipes...just not necessarily as a moisturizer...let me 'splain:

The wipes smell lovely. The sweet vanilla and sweeter coconut give off an almost dessert-like fragrance, but the scent is so light that it's not cloying. It's downright dreamy, actually. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the scent doesn't last very long. Truthfully, I don't think it lasted much past application. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. If you're a perfume wearer, you don't have to worry about competing; if you're going to be in a tight space with a lot of people (like an office cubical setting), you won't kill anyone allergies.

The formula, itself, is fairly dry, which is a plus in my book. The humidity down here is ridiculous, so anything greasy or thick flat-out melts off of your skin and feels disgusting. You can leave little lotion puddles on your car seats. It's not pretty; I don't enjoy it. This is nice and cool, sinks in quickly and leaves your skin feeling smooth, but dry to the touch. Its hydrating properties aren't bad, either. It's not the "World's Best Moisturizer" (TM), but it does the job. I applied after shaving, and that gross itchy feeling that you get after a close shave went away immediately, and I haven't experienced any irritation.

Now, the application is a bit tricky. You would think that a wipe would just, you know, wipe on. Um...no. Not quite. These wipes are super-soft, which sounds fantastic--who wants to rub something rough on their skin? Unfortunately, the texture causes the wipes to bunch up while you rub, effectively cutting the application surface by about 75%. It's workable, but a little annoying. Still, I'd rather have soft than scratchy any day.

This appears to be a nice product. It does what it claims. For three bucks, I couldn't be happier. That said, when I repurchase these (which I will), it will be to toss the very convenient little package in my theme park bag. I know, I know, that sounds odd, but again, let me 'splain:

I hate the smell of baby wipes. Well, actually, that's not entirely true. I adore the smell of baby wipes on a baby. I detest using them on myself. I'm 33, not three. I would like to smell like a grown-up, thank you. Normally, when we go to Disney or Universal, part way through the day I begin to feel less like a girl and more like a swamp thing. It's nice to be able to pop in the restroom and freshen up a bit before, say, going in a restaurant. I don't like to carry a ton in the parks, but a travel brush, some blotting papers or a little powder, some lipgloss...and a pack of baby wipes...go a long way toward making me feel human again. Now, these lotion wipes don't have the same cleaning properties as the baby wipes, but I'm not necessarily trying to clean anything. I just want to wipe off the sweat, cool down, and hopefully smell a little less theme park-y. This should do the trick nicely, and I won't have to go into Be Our Guest smelling like a pre-school.

Verdict (thus far): 8 out of 10. Good in a pinch, and great in a park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...