Friday, March 9, 2012

Frugal Friday: I Wanna Look Like Katniss!

Photo Credit: E.L.F. Cosmetics
Well, this sucks. I have absolutely no deals or discounts for you guys today. It's just a dead Friday, I guess. What I did find, though, that kind of fits into the "frugal" part of "Frugal Friday", is a Hunger Games makeup tutorial, courtesy of discount-makeup titan, E.L.F.

What I love about this tutorial is that, while it is based on a movie character, this is actually a really nice, wearable, "no-makeup" look. It's something that would easily fit in at a casual beach wedding, Saturday outlet shopping trip, or just relaxing outdoors. Nothing about this screams, "I love Hunger Games and want to be Katniss when I grow up!!!" It's just a nice, normal, carefree look.

Now, obviously, they used E.L.F. products exclusively, but you don't have to go that route. If you already have similar products in your kit, go with those. For example: I don't happen to own their brand of tinted moisturizer, but I do have a Too Faced Beauty Balm. In fact, I'm just going to go through their tutorial and add in the products I would recommend as dupes. That way, you can dig through your kits and see what you already have before placing any unnecessary online orders. I'll mark all my edits with ***. 

1. Start out by applying our Studio Tinted Moisturizer in the shade that best suites you.
***Any tinted moisturizer would work. Just go with what works best for you.

2. Contour the cheekbones, temples of the forehead, and sides of the nose with our Essentials Bronzer with Brush for that sun kissed look. 
***Benefit Hoola is great for contouring because of its matte finish. However, if you like a dewier look, try Too Faced Sun Bunny for a light shimmer. Sun Bunny is also fantastic on porcelain lasses, such as myself.

3. Highlight the center of the face with our Healthy Glow Bronzing Powder in 'Luminance' for a lit from within glow.
***As far as highlighters go, I'm a fan of Too Faced Snow Bunny, but LORAC Perfectly Lit Oil-Free Luminizing Powder in Spotlight is pretty darn wonderful, too. Honestly, though, I'm always wary of putting shimmer in my T-zone. If you want to try a different route, I'd suggest MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural (in whatever color matches your skin tone) for a soft, airbrushed, matte finish that still makes you appear to glow. It's gorgeous.

4. Brush brows into place with our Eyebrow Treat & Tame.
***Clear mascara works well for this. I'm also a fan of E.L.F. Eyebrow Kit.

5. Line the eyes with a brown eyeliner and smudge with a Q-Tip or blending brush. Try our Brightening Eyeliner in Coffee.
***Ulta Automatic Eyeliner in Deep Brown is a staple in my kit. A dark brown shadow would work well, too, since you're smudging it anyway. Urban Decay Twice Baked has always worked well for me.

6. Coat lashes with a few swipes of waterproof brown mascara.
***It's not brown, but I love Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes for a natural look. If you really want brown, though, CoverGirl Lash Blast Fusion is a really nice one, and inexpensive to boot.

7. Coat lips with a swipe of our Lip Balm SPF 15 in 'Clear'.
***Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush Minty Lip Shine should be in everyone's kit. It's a basic, clear gloss with no shimmer, and the minty flavor helps freshen your breath. If you need a color, though (and I would), Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Balms are a great way to go, and Bora Bora (sheer cherry) would be my pick. A less expensive version (and one that stays in my purse at all times) is CoverGirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm in Muscat. Both give you a pop of color that still looks natural.

I'm also going to suggest popping a little peachy blush on the cheeks (Benefit Coralista is a fave. There's no shimmer, but a very fine sheen that looks extremely natural), and a bronze shadow on the eyes (Buxom Stay-There in Mutt or Stila's Sparkle), just to complete the look. May the odds be in your favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...