Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Audition Makeup: Camera Look Inspired by Victoria's Secret Angels

This morning, I had an audition (please keep your fingers crossed for me)! I knew that it would be on-camera, and that I should look like "me", only better. I also knew that I needed a look that would work under studio lighting without leaving me totally washed out. That's about the time I got one of those umpteen-thousand daily emails that Victoria's Secret sends their customers, and realized that what I needed was an Angel. Well, her makeup, anyway.

VS "Angels", if you didn't already know, are the models for the lingerie/clothing/beauty company. They have glowing skin and just enough makeup to look naturally gorgeous. If you want a beautiful look that doesn't overpower your features, but simply enhances them, this is one to go for.

So, without further ado, I give you my take on the VS Angel look:

Holy Crud. This looks like a Glamour Shot I had done when I was 13.
Taken with a cell-cam, natural lighting from window and overhead light behind me. No re-touching.
Okay, when you're working with harsh lighting for video, you can't go too "glowy". It just doesn't look good. I can't really describe it, but the video camera hates shimmer, glitter, and glow. Dewy is okay, as long as you don't go overboard. I've found, through trial and error, that it works best to go for a "lit from within" look. If you prep the skin so that--without foundation--it looks all bright and shiny, you can get that glow even with a more camera-friendly matte foundation.

I started by using a cooling eye gel on my eyes to relieve puffiness, and leaving that on while I worked on my hair. After I washed that off, I used a brightening vitamin-C serum on my entire face and neck, and a brightening eye cream under my eyes. Finally, I used a radiance-boosting primer. I might add that I really started all of this the day before by applying a light layer of sunless tanner to my entire body, since I'm practically black-light reflective. That's purely optional, of course.

Once my skin was prepped, I pulled out my Ben Nye matte foundation palette. This is full-coverage and comes in a wide range of shades. I highly recommend it for anyone who does work in front of a camera. I used the shade that best matched my skintone (Cameo, if you're wondering), and applied with a sponge wedge. I pressed the foundation into the skin to work it in as best as possible, since I'm sure nobody wants to see my pores in full HD. Then, I used a creamy, full-coverage concealer under my eyes and on any blemishes or discoloration, and set the entire face with full-coverage matte powder (Rimmel Stay Matte).

For the eyes, I started with a flesh toned eye primer from lashes to brow. Then I used a bronze-y brown shadow pencil on my lid and blended it into the crease. I also ran the same color under my lower lashes. I then took a matte milk chocolate shadow (Urban Decay Tease from the Naked 2 palette) and darkened the crease area. A pale pink satin shadow (Bootycall from Naked 2) went in the brow area. I then used a gold highlighter in the inner corner (Benefit Sun Beam) and ran a shimmery pale pink shadow pencil on my lower waterline. Another lighter brown shadow pencil ran under the lower lashes to help blend out the bronze shadow. I lined the top lash line with black pencil, thickening the outer corners for a not-quite cat eye effect, and brought the black liner onto the outer corners of the lower lash line to deepen the color. Finish the eyes by filling in brows and applying mascara to top and bottom lashes. I suggest curling the lashes to open the eyes more.

For the cheeks, apply a matte bronzer to the outer cheek area (by your ears) and blend inward. Don't hit your apples. A satin bright rose blush goes onto the apples and blends outward into the bronzer. This way, you get a little contour and some color without looking like you striped your face. You can also apply some of that matte bronzer to your hairline and anywhere else you would normally be "sunkissed". Finish the cheeks by adding a shimmery powder highlighter--the only shimmer allowed!--to the cheekbones and, if you want, browbones.

On the lips, I used a rosy nude pencil to line, and filled in with a rosy pink lipstick. I added a dab of a coordinating glittery lipgloss to the center of my lower lip and pressed my lips together to distribute. That keeps the majority of the shine in the center of your lip, but blends it out naturally. Finally, I spritzed the entire face with a setting spray. If you have an HD powder, a quick powder down before you set is a good idea. I couldn't find mine..It's been one of those days.

I hope this helps some of you who might be trying to figure out the best makeup for on-camera auditions. We actors have to stick together. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...