Monday, September 10, 2012

Bold Berry Lips and a Little Catharsis

Hollywood Life posted this picture of Emma Watson looking absolutely gorgeous at the Toronto International Film Festival. The accompanying article was about her bold lips/nearly naked eye combination, which I love, but the suggested lipstick for re-creating the look just bugged the heck out of me.

Photo Credit: Hollywood Life

It's a beautiful color--don't get me wrong--but seems much more tomato red than the berry Ms. Watson sported. Sure, you could do this look with tomato red, but I feel like the berry keeps the overall effect modern and sophisticated, where a brighter red could come off more retro.

Instead of sitting at the computer pounding my fist and silently seething (it seriously bothered me, folks), I decided to rectify the problem as best I could. Here are my berry picks for a Watson-esque Fall look:

Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Stick in Fresno
I love these lipsticks. Flat out. They're shaped more like a lip pencil (but nowhere near as large as a Chubby Stick), so you can use them to line. They feel a little thick going on, but melt into your lips within a few minutes, and leave a lovely tingle. They last a good long while, too, and are almost matte. Fresno is described as a "blackberry wine".

MAC in Hang-Up
My favorite berry from MAC was discontinued (Berry Boost), and I've found nothing to compare. However, I know how fantastic MAC lipsticks are, and wanted to include one in the list. Hang-Up is insanely dark, but with a brush and a light hand, this "deep berry" creamsheen can be a beautiful shade for Fall.

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo
I picked this up thinking it was a true red, but was pleasantly surprised to discover it was really a lovely raspberry color, not unlike my Berry Boost (see review and not completely un-Watson-like look here. I think I may be ahead of a trend for once!). This is a cheap, quick, and easy way to pull off a bold lip, and I highly recommend it.

E.L.F. Mineral Lipstick in Cheerful Cherry
Just so you know, it's not cherry. I have a review here, with swatches, and the name is deceiving. Don't let that put you off of this product, though. It's a darn good lipstick at a darn good price point ($5!), which makes this an inexpensive way to experiment with a bold lip look.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, whoever thought those colors were anywhere near the same were a tad color blind?! 8-> I can see why you find that annoying! Ok... it's bugging me now... lol...

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...