Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Royal Makeup Drama...For Those That Care...

Yeah, yeah, there's a big fat royal wedding this weekend. Yada, yada, yada. We get it. The media has shoved it down our throats. Sure, I'm tickled pink for the happy couple, and I'll be sure to check in on the dress and cake and whatnot, but this morning, every other segment on CBS's The Early Show focused on the upcoming nuptials. There were even segments on how to choose a hat for your viewing party and on what Ms. Middleton might have purchased for her honeymoon.

And then I read this: Katie-dear is going to do her own makeup for the wedding. My first thought was, "Whoop-dee-freaking-doo. How is this news?" quickly followed by, "Is she out of her mind? She's the future QUEEN!!! She's going to be on half the television stations in the world, and these pictures are going to be aired in perpetuity and turned into merchandise! For crying out loud, some are going to end up in history books!! Hire an artist!!!"

But then I read the reasoning behind the decision. She'd had an artist do her makeup for the engagement photos, but had been very unhappy with the results. She had wanted a fresh-faced, natural look, and had, instead, been coated down with pancake makeup. Middleton washed off all the spackling and re-did her face herself. You have to admit, the finished product was stunning.
The Happy Couple
Photo Courtesy of the NY Daily News
Honestly, I can relate with the bride-to-be. I went to a fancy-schmancy day spa/salon and had a professional artist do my makeup for my own wedding. While the makeup photographed fairly well, I still felt like a painted hussy. The eyebrows were too dark, the foundation was caked on, and my eyeliner ran down my cheeks by night's end. The first thing I did after we checked in at the hotel for our wedding night was run in the bathroom and wash my face. Another time, I was in a wedding fashion show, and the makeup artists (from the same spa...hmmm...) forgot concealer completely. I had horrible dark circles! Luckily, I was able to scrounge up some undereye cover and fix the problem before the show, but I couldn't believe that a "pro" would skip something so obvious! So, yeah, while I now have friends who are amazing artists that I trust completely, I can totally understand how this young lady might not want to trust something so important to anyone else. She will have someone teach her how to apply makeup for HD cameras. If you want a job done right, you've got to do it yourself.

As a fun little aside to this story, I found an old article from Queen Elizabeth's coronation. Seems she wasn't a big fan of piled-on makeup, either. Keep reading for a great story on the design of the Queen's coronation gown, and a whole bunch of awesome 1950s newspaper ads. It's a kick!

1 comment:

  1. good on her. besides, as we both know, it's important to keep control over anything you can in a wedding. i was satisfied only with what i chose: my dress, my makeup, the music that played during lunch and the food. i can only imagine that it's a million times worse when your wedding is the biggest event in a whole country in 30 years...

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...