Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easy, Breezy, Beautiful

A week, or so, ago, the folks at BzzAgent asked me if I would like to try CoverGirl's new NatureLuxe line. Well, sure! Sign me up! I'd been considering tinted moisturizers for Summer, and while this was technically a foundation, it was supposed to be as light and silky as a moisturizer. Really, the texture was the main point of switching, anyway, so bring it on! As a bonus, I got to try a Gloss Balm, too. Sweet!

The package arrived yesterday, and contained the foundation in the shade of my choice, Aspen. The gloss balm was a random pick on their end, and I wound up with Muscat, an orange-tinted red that, luckily, is very flattering with my coloring and newly-coppery hair. There were also some lovely coupons enclosed, in case any of you in my immediate area would like one. I think they take $2 off the cost. I know I've blogged about BzzAgent a few times before, but for those just joining us, it's a word of mouth advertising company. They send me stuff. I try it. If I like it, great. If not, that's fine, too. Then, I share my opinions (good, bad, and ugly) with whomever I so choose. In this case, you guys. Aren't you lucky. I receive no compensation for my reviews, other than the products themselves. /End of disclosure.

Anyway, I decided to give them a whirl this morning, completing my usual makeup routine with the role of Erin's foundation played by CoverGirl NatureLuxe Silk Foundation, and the role of lip gloss played by CoverGirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm.  

Photo Credit (this and all): CoverGirl
The foundation is really nice. I mean, it's world's better than I expected. My experience with drugstore foundations has been spotty, at best, so I really didn't hope for much out of this. To start, I prepped my skin with moisturizer and my favorite primer, Benefit That Gal. Then, I smoothed on the foundation. At first, I was afraid it would be too dark, but by the time I finished applying, the product had absorbed into my skin, and I had a perfect match. Honestly, the only way I could tell I had anything on, at all, was the eveness of my skin tone. This product covers well, but is sheer enough to let your skin show through with zero cakiness. That earns major points in my book. As an added bonus, the foundation is SPF 10, which eliminates the need to apply sunscreen and saves me a step in the mornings. I also really like the light cucumber scent. Packaging is similar to a tinted moisturizer, in a pretty sage-green inverted squeeze tube. 14 shades, $9.74, Walmart. Final Verdict: 10 out of 10. I really can't think of a reason to deduct any points. This is a real winner.

The gloss balm reminds me a lot of my Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Balm in Bora Bora. I mean, it's almost a dead ringer for it. The long-lasting color is nearly identical, and my lips feel super hydrated. The Buxom plumps, while the CoverGirl does not. However, the CoverGirl comes in a tube for more precise application, where the Buxom requires you to either use your finger or carry a separate brush. You just have to pick which characteristics are more important to you. The resulting color and overall feel on your lips will be pretty much the same, either way. For those of you not familiar with the Buxom: this is a full color balm. The color is still sheer, but much more pigmented than a tinted balm (like Burt's Bees). Because it's a balm, it moisturizes and leaves your lips feeling soft and healthy. The color is glossy and, unlike most balms, visible. SPF 15 (not found in the Buxom, by the way) keeps your lips protected from the Summer sun. Crisp, clean packaging in clear plastic and sage green. My only real gripe is that it's so small it gets lost even in the compartments of my purse. 16 shades, $6.48, Walmart. Final Verdict: 9 out of 10. It's making me second-guess my Buxom love, but the small size is a major turn-off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...