Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pour Some Sugar On Me: Too Faced Spun Sugar Glamour To Go Review

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, and I'm a church musician. My life is no longer my own. Folks, I haven't had time to swatch and photograph this palette properly, but I was so excited about it that I had to go ahead and post! I picked up the Too Faced Limited Edition Spun Sugar Glamour to Go during the Sephora V.I.B. sale, and I really want to share it with you. I think it would make a fantastic stocking stuffer for any makeup maven on your list--but especially the younger, teenaged set.



Photo Credit: Too Faced
 Now, if you don't like sparkle, stay away, 'cause there's not a matte shade in the bunch. When they called it spun sugar, they meant it. Everything is shimery and glittery, including the bronzer--but that has both pros and cons, and we'll get to them in just a bit.

As an all-encompassing palette, this doesn't work. It's not a full-face look, by any stretch of the imagination, and the fact that it's completely glitzy doesn't help matters. You're not going to toss this in your travel bag or purse and be glamourously good "to go". However, much like spun sugar, this makes a beautiful topping to your usual makeup routine. The shadow colors are all neutrals, and the bronzer and highlighter are very natural-looking shades, even if they are loaded with shimmer. The gloss can be worn alone or on top of another lip color, and is long-lasting and slightly sweet.

So, here's the good, the bad, and the ugly:

The Good:
This is the first Glamour To Go palette that seems to have honest-to-goodness quads. Past palettes have had coordinating shades, but these are clearly grouped into golds and silvers, and the colors are absolutely gorgeous. I'm also completely in love with the highlighter. It's crazy-sparkly, and makes me think of sugar cookies and snowflakes, but is an easy and grown-up way to get away with a little glitter, even during the day. It really lights up my face, and I adore it. The bronzer can be used to add a little flush to the face, or as a contour, as the shimmer is minimal compared to the rest of the palette. The gloss is an almost clear gold, and is packed with sparkle. Basically, all of the colors are fabulous, wintery, and wearable.

The packaging is another plus. Like all other Glamour To Go palettes, it's constructed of a durable hard plastic, and is about the size of a credit card holder. Unlike other Glamour To Go palettes, the face is a pretty gold. It looks beautiful in my makeup drawer. There's also a mirror that spans the length of the lid, and is pefectly functional for touch-ups. The $22 price makes this a great value, and just right for gift-giving.

The Bad:
The shadows. Unfortunately, as wonderful as Too Faced shadows normally are, the ones in the Glamour To Go palettes tend to pale by comparison. They're not terrible! Not by a long shot! But they're not nearly as great as the singles or duos. The pigmentation is a little lacking in some, and others are a bit chalky. As soon as I get a free moment, I'll swatch them and update the post. Again, they're not bad shadows--they're just not as good as I know they could be. I've used them for a few days with very little trouble. Here's how the golds look together:

Hey! I finally did my brows!

The Ugly:
Nothing. It's just a really good palette.

Earlier, I suggested this might make a nice gift for the teenager in your life. While a lovely palette, some with fine lines may find that the shimmer enhances them, and that's not necessarily flattering. Teens and younger folks tend to love the pretty-shinies, and can wear them more easily. Plus, the shades are perfect for those just beginning to wear to makeup, making this a terrific learning tool.

Final Verdict: 9 out of 10, and only because Too Faced can do, and has done, better shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...