Thursday, August 26, 2010

I Wonder If They're #2's?

I used to get really bored in school.  Who didn't?  To pass the time, I had a tendency to rub my pencil under the desk, just to see how sharp I could make the graphite.  This was, of course, after M.A.S.H. had gotten old, all notes had been passed, and all the circular letters in my text book had been filled in.  Obviously, this was before smart phones, or I'd have just played on Facebook.  I did have a pager, but that wasn't much of a boredom buster.

So, yeah, I sharpened pencils and got about as close to defacing school property as a goody-two-shoes like me could get.  However, in all my years of pencil sharpening, I never did anything as cool as this:
Photo by Inhabitat
My friend, Megan, sent this picture to me, and after a little searching, I found out the artist's name is Dalton Ghetti.  He's from Connecticut, by way of Brazil, and does this for fun.  Ghetti has never sold any of his artwork, but gives the pencils away to friends and family.  The sculptures can take several months to complete, with at least one sculpture taking well over two years.  He carves them all without the aid of a magnifying glass, and his only tools are a razor blade, sewing needle and sculpting knife.  Here are a few of my favorites:
Photo by Inhabitat
That looks like the tiniest bronzed baby shoe ever.  It's so realistic that you almost believe you could put your foot in it!  I think the curled tongue is my favorite part.

Photo by Inhabitat
This is my absolute favorite out of the group.  I really couldn't tell you why, but I guess it's something about the open door to the mailbox--the expectation of it.  I really don't know, but it's lovely.  Ghetti keeps what he calls a "cemetery collection" for pieces that break mid-sculpt.  With this kind of detail, it's completely understandable that some would fall apart, and I'm thrilled he still shows them.
Photo by Inhabitat
Okay, this one just made me giggle.  ELVIS!!!!!  *swoon*  For more information on Dalton Ghetti, you can visit this site, or this one, or this one.

Okay, today's trip into the magic bag o' samples is actually an update.  Originally, I pulled out a different sample, but it had expired...last year...oops. 

A little while ago, I told you about Stila's One Step makeup foundation.  I highly recommended it, but added that while it does act as a primer, foundation, and powder, you would still need concealer.  I would like to ammend that.  When I made that statement, I was wearing the medium shade, which was a touch too dark for me, but worked if put on lightly.  Today, I used the light shade (which is a touch too light, but there is a shade in-between called 'tone' that would probably be my best bet), so I was able to apply the foundation a little more thickly.  Here's the ammendment:  you may not need concealer.  This covered my dark circles without any help (and I haven't not worn undereye cover since...well, birth, probably).  However, it did not completely cover the redness around a small blemish.  Basically, you can probably do without, but I'd still hang on to my concealer for emergencies.  Also, in case you were wondering, the foundation is still just as fantastic this time as it was the last.  This stuff is amazing, and could end up saving you a lot of money in the long run.  $44, Sephora.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...