Friday, August 27, 2010

There's a Little Black Raincloud Over Me

I needed a smile today.  After three years with his company, Thomas was let go.  It's just one of those things that happens, and we'll deal with it, but it's a huge blow to our budget.  Those of you who have been keeping up with this blog know that we're in the process of moving and are also working on an independant film.  Obviously, this is not a good time for one spouse to be out of work.  It's also not the best time to be job-hunting, since unemployment is at a high right now.  We could both definitely use some smiles right about now.

Luckily, there is a man out there who seems to specialize in smiles.  His name is James Hance, and he deals in what he calls "relentlessly cheery art".  Hance's work is unapologetically pop--celebrity portraits, TV subjects, and Star Wars as far as the eye can see.  Oh, and Muppets galore.  We must never leave out the Muppets.  He's described as "a big kid at heart, with an infectious sense of humor," and really, shouldn't we all be so lucky to have someone like that in our lives.

They're not the equivalent of a new job, but these pieces did, momentarily, put smiles on our faces, so I thought I'd share them with you.  All are available as prints for $10.


I love this.  First off, Super Grover!  Secondly, the look on (an incredibly realistic) Christopher Reeve's face just beams out affection.  You feel happy looking at it, and I'm not entirely sure that feeling has anything to do with the subject.  I think a lot of love went into this painting, and it just comes pouring back out. 
My favorite Fraggle Rock guys, the Doozers.  Little fellas who worked dilligently, paid only with an occasional, "Thank You," as a Fraggle bit into one of their radish-flavored buildings.  They were unsung heroes, making the world a better place for Fraggles, and this, somehow, seems very appropriate.
Okay, this one's just silly.  Kermit of the Dead?  It does seem fitting, though, that the frog is carrying a cricket bat. 

Now, we're getting into my favorites.  Hance has done a series of cartoons that are based on A.A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh" children's books.  If I ever have a kid, this will be his/her nursery (consider this warning, Thomas).

Wookie the Chew!!!!!!!
I'm not posting the entire series here, but I think you get the idea.  I adore the little Han!!!! 

Heehee!!!!!  The little AT-AT as Eeyore has completely made my day.  I've seen some cute Star Wars stuff in my life, but this wins, hands down.  I hope you enjoyed them as much as I did.

Okay, today's dip into the magic bag o' samples yielded Olay Quench Advanced Healing Body Lotion.  $8.99, Walgreen's.  I guess it's appropriate that the day my husband loses his job is the day I stop pulling out Sephora samples and start pulling out ones from the drugstore.  The universe has a sense of humor, no?

I liked it.  It's unscented, so it doesn't compete with perfume, which is always a plus.  The results were also immediately noticeable.  My skin looked more moisturized and felt smoother.  Another plus, the lotion didn't irritate my freshly shaved legs.  No little red bumps or stinging with this stuff.  Several hours later, my legs still feel silky soft.  For nine bucks, it's definitely worth a try.

*Photos by James Hance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...