Thursday, August 12, 2010

Movies, Makeover, and Mom

My poor husband has been editing our movie pretty much 24/7 since we got back from vacation, and I'm afraid his eyes are going to turn square from staring at the screen.  To give him a break, we're having a "Let's Go See Some Movies That Aren't Ours" weekend.  We're hitting Scott Pilgrim on Friday and The Expendables on Sunday.  Considering I'm a huge Edgar Wright fan (Shaun of the Dead Hott Fuzz Spaced!  Yarp!), and grew up thinking that poor John McClane couldn't buy a decent Christmas, I'm psyched.  But you'll notice that Saturday is left blank.

Saturday, Mom and I are having a mother-daughter day for her birthday.  We're hitting Eat, Pray, Love to stare at the pretty scenery and watch physical proof that Julia Roberts has actually eaten some form of food in her entire life.  Before that, though, we're taking an up-till-now unplanned trip to Sephora.  See, Mom came over this morning and made the fatal mistake of borrowing some of my makeup. 

I have created a monster.

In what took maybe 3 minutes (that's a serious maybe), I used five products (four of mine and her own lipstick) that left her ooh-ing and aah-ing and telling me that it didn't matter how much they were, we were getting them.  This is my "I'll Spend Money on Everyone Else in the Entire World Before I Even Think of Spending it on Myself" mother.  I love it.  Mom's getting something nice for herself, and it's about time.  (Yes, I know you're reading this, Mom, and I don't care.)

So, here are the four wonder-products that, apparently, rocked my Mom's world.  Please remember, I am not a makeup artist.  This took no time, at all, looked awesome, and if I can do it, you can do it.  Anyone can do it.  I'm fairly certain a trained monkey could figure this out.

1)  Benefit Erase Paste in Medium. 
2)  Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow in R.S.V.P.
3)  Nars Powder Blush in Orgasm (I didn't name it).
4)  CoverGirl LashBlast Fusion Mascara in Very Black.

Photo by Sephora
Mom already had on a little bit of foundation, so I didn't mess with that.  I used a concealer brush and applied the teensiest amount of Erase Paste under her eyes.  Seriously, this stuff is so concentrated that it doesn't take much at all to make a huge difference.  Then, I used an eyeshadow brush and applied the Cream Eyeshadow to the lids and up to the brow bone.  R.S.V.P. is a rosy champagne color that added just a hint of color to her olive skintone.  I brushed the Nars blush onto the apples of her cheeks, then added the mascara to her upper lashes.  That's it.  The end.  Ta-da.  There's nothing to this, folks.  It was easy, took no time, and I had a chance to make my Mom's day.  That's always a nice thing.
Photo by Sephora

As for the price tag, seeing as she wears the medium shade of Erase Paste, she can get a set from Sephora(online only) with deluxe samples of the Erase Paste, the Cream Eyeshadow in R.S.V.P., and a bonus deluxe sample of Stay Don't Stray Eyeshadow Primer for $10.  The samples are huge, so they'll last for a while.  The mascara is $8.29 at Target.  The big ticket is the blush.  It's $26 at Sephora, but completely worth it.  It's a universally flattering peachy pink, and looks totally natural.

So, there you go.  Happy, pretty makeup in no time flat.  Oh, and if you need brushes, I highly recommend these from E.L.F.  They're inexpensive (like, $3 a piece inexpensive) and fantastic.  I've had mine for about a year, and as long as you keep them clean, they'll last for a good long time. 

In other news, I am never going to get through these samples.  Never.  To recap, I went through a freebie phase, where I absolutely hoarded samples.  Now, I'm on a mission to actually use all these samples, and today's random reach into the magic bag o' samples brought Murad's Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30.  It's very thick and rich, and, at first, smells just like a freshly cut orange.  Unfortunately, as you rub it into your skin it begins to release a much different aroma.  A much more unpleasant aroma.

See, back in college I wound up with the worst case of laryngitis ever.  Normally, that's problematic enough, but for a vocalist, it's devastating.  My teacher and my doctor both suggested I try Throat Coat, an herbal tea with slippery elm, licorice, and a whole bunch of other truly disgusting ingredients.  It did the trick, but I have never been able to get that smell out of my head.  Murad Essential-C smells exactly like Throat Coat, and I've been just a little bit (physically and psychologically) miserable since I put it on.

As for the moisturizer itself, I have no complaints.  It goes on smoothly, absorbs well, left my skin looking soft and hydrated, and my makeup went on easily with no clumping or smearing.  It's a very effective moisturizer, however, I'm don't see where it's any more effective than a good drugstore brand, and at $60 retail (Sephora.com), I want it to knock my flip-flops off.  Oh well, you win some, you lose some.  Wonder what tomorrow will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...