Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gift Guide: The Significant Other

This morning, a can of crescent rolls took pity on me.  I kid you not.  I was in the middle of making my sopapilla cheesecake pie, and could not get the canister of rolls to open.  I'd completely pulled off the wrapper and had tried pressing on the seam, and...nothing.  I actually broke a sweat, but kept trying.  Nothing.  Tears started to well up.  Nothing.  Eventually, I gave up and set the can down to find a knife, when POP!  The darn thing opened up on its own.  I'm not sure if I should feel lucky that it opened (thereby letting me finish the dessert), or really, really sad that an inanimate can of dough felt sorry for me.

This is when I think of Audrey.  One of my favorite musicals is Little Shop of Horrors.  In it, the female lead, Audrey, sings about her idea of a perfect life with the guy of her dreams.  She says she'd like to "cook like Betty Crocker and...look like Donna Reed".  Now, not to send feminism back fifty years, but there are times when I feel like that.  Of course, in my case it's more like "cook like the Pioneer Woman and look like Heidi Klum", and, like Audrey, I'm better with bronzer than the broiler.  I'm lucky if I can finish dinner without setting off the smoke detector.  

My point is:  Thomas didn't marry me for my kitchen prowess.  It doesn't matter to him if I ever learn how to brine porkchops or carmelize onions.  He didn't fall in love with a domestic goddess, he fell in love with me:  a mildly crazy, loud-mouthed klutz with an artistic temperment.  I'm sure he had his reasons. 

We're both extremely lucky.  We root for each other to succeed in whatever it is that we attempt, but love each other even if we fail--or only succeed because a package of rolls grew a heart.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter where dinner came from as long as we've eaten.  It doesn't matter who took out the trash or loaded the dishwasher.  All that matters is that we're together, snuggled up on the couch, and happy. 

With that, I give you the gift guide for this week:  The Significant Other.  I'm posting mostly for the ladies, since Thomas occasionally reads this, and I don't want him to know what he's getting for Christmas or our anniversary.  These are gifts that are on the romantic side, and a little more indulgent than one would normally buy for one's self.  Print it out and leave it somewhere conspicuous.  If you don't have a significant other, now's the perfect time to splurge and thank yourself for being awesome.  

First on the list is a stunning piece of jewelry from Kohl's.  This is a 10k White Gold 1/4-ct. T.W. Diamond Love-Knot Pendant.  I think that's all the description this needs.  It retails for $500, but is on sale right now for $199.99.  That price is going to drop to $159.99 tomorrow for the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale.  As a side note:  Kohl's has some of the best Black Friday sales on jewelry I've seen, and some amazing prices on pretty much everything else.  You might want to check out their ad.


Photo Credit:  Kohls.com
Next, we have a cute and comfy pajama set from Victoria's Secret.  I have a couple of their sleepshirts, and it's all I'd ever sleep in, if that were possible.  The t-shirt is made from their famous super-soft cotton, and the pants are cotton-sateen with a velour tie.  Comes in a variety of colors and three pant lengths.  What I like, is that the set is very laid-back and casual, but the low v-neck makes it flirty, and the fabrics make it luxe.  $49.50, Victoria's Secret.  Right now (and I mean RIGHT NOW), it's on sale for $39.50, with a code for a free pair of $25 slippers (VS10SLEEP).  I have no idea what might change tomorrow and Friday.
Photo Credit:  Victoria's Secret
Lastly, here's something for the two of you to enjoy together:  Chocolate!  These are Champagne Truffles from Jacques Torres Chocolate Haven.  They're made with Tattinger champagne and some of the creamiest milk chocolate I've ever tasted.  Thomas was briefly addicted to them after I ordered some for our anniversary last year.  Jacques Torres is a master chocolatier with Food Network credentials and a small chain of gorgeous stores in New York.  I worked a Christmas season at the SoHo store while I lived in New York, and while the chocolate's a little on the expensive side, I can completely attest that it's worth every penny.  Also, they're shaped like corks.  How cute is that?!  $18-$43, mrchocolate.com.     
Photo Credit:  mrchocolate.com
That's it for this week, folks.  I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!  See you Monday.

1 comment:

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...