Monday, November 22, 2010

Comic-Con FAIL 2: Fail Harder

I think I need a drink.  Is this going to be a regular thing until July?  For those of you who are totally lost, here's a little recap for you.

Comic-Con is an enormous comic book, sci-fi, fantasy, movie and television convention held in beautiful San Diego, CA.  The con is in July, but tickets go on sale...well, technically at the previous year's con.  For those of us who were unable to attend, online registration--the only way you can register, now--started three weeks ago.

Sort of.

Registration is open from the official start time until they run out of passes.  In other words, about 45 minutes.  Not really, but they do go fast, so it's important to try to get yours as early as possible.  You can only order one badge (ticket) at a time, and there's no on-site registration, so this is it.  People take off from work and school to get their badges as soon as they're available.  Three weeks ago, the Comic-Con site was over-run with users trying to register (myself included), and the site crashed.  Hard.  They said to check back for new instructions in a week.  It annoyed me, and I wrote a blog about it. 

A week later, the new instructions were to come back this morning at 8am.  Awesome.

So, today, I attempt to log on and get my badges and...crash.  And burn.  The site has gone down in flames again.  I'm assuming that it'll be another week or so before they have things up and running, and I'm wondering what it's going to take for the servers to stay functional.  Will we need to know the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?  Does someone need to bring the Comic-Con techs the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West?  Perhaps there are Nargles to blame.  Whatever the case, I just want my darn tickets.

I'm starting to heavily suspect those Nargles.

IF, and I do mean if, we're able to get to Comic-Con this July, I may be forced to wear one of these cool error message shirts.  Knowing how irritated people were today, I'd bet money that the error message we all saw this morning will be on a shirt by the weekend.  Until then, here's one that tickled me.  I have a feeling Thomas wouldn't mind a bit if I wore this through the convention center.  $15.95, errorwear.com.


Photo credit:  errorwear.com
The text reads: 
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /girl on this server.
Apache/1.3.9 Server at www.errorwear.com Port 80

Did you have Comic-Con issues today?  I'd love to hear about them in the comments.  Misery loves Company, afterall.  

***EDIT***
Can I call 'em, or what?!  The Error Message shirt now exists on CafePress!  Here's a peek:
Photo credit:  CafePress.com
It's hard to read, but it says:
Registration System Error
The web system has encountered an error while attempting to service your registration process.

epic
Event Planning International Corporation

FAIL

Found on Twitter:  @shpider



1 comment:

  1. oh, the magic (HEH) of technology. that sucks. sorry, love...

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...