Friday, November 19, 2010

Gift Guide: The Hostess

I can not throw a party to save my life.  I learned back in high school (hi, Mags!) that I am about as good at throwing parties as Mary Tyler Moore:  in other words, my parties tend to suck.  Now, I can be the guest of honor at a good party.  I can attend a good party.  I can help plan a good party.  I can not throw a good party.  I think the most infamous of my bad parties included a knife fight and a guy dancing with a lawnmower.  Believe it or not, no alcohol was involved.  Maybe it should have been.

People who can throw an entertaining shin-dig fascinate me.  I tip my hat to them.  With that, I give you the gift guide for the Hostess, or alternately, Little Suzy Homemaker:  that throwback to the Mad Men era who keeps a clean house, a stocked bar, and fabulous style. 

First up is this stunning Jessie Steele apron.  It's a bib-style full-apron with a cinched waist and a stripe/cherry print motif.  Keeps a cute outfit clean, but without sacrificing style.  Heck, that would make most of my party outfits look better.  With attached terry towel.  $33.95, jessiesteele.com.
Photo credit:  jessiesteele.com
Next is a gorgeous art deco martini set.  Crystal cut glasses, a matching shaker (not the one pictured, oddly), and a to die for serving tray dress up any occasion.  $85.00, martiniart.com.
Photo credit:  martiniart.com
Lastly, we have a set of monogrammed hand towels.  Actually, you can get the entire bath collection, but what hostess with the mostess wouldn't love a nice set of monogrammed hand towels on display in the guest bathroom?  You know, in case you forget who's throwing the party.  Trust me, that can happen.  $7.99-$19.99, Bed Bath and Beyond. 

Photo credit:  bedbathandbeyond.com








2 comments:

  1. hahaha - you ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? i had a good time at that party, in hindsight. and hey, at least you weren't still finding skittles in the couch several YEARS after your finest hour like i was after mine.

    we may not have been HGTV material, but we got great, great stories out of the deal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Very true. Heck, these days, that might very well BE HGTV material!

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...