Monday, November 29, 2010

It's the Holiday Season!

So, Whoopty Doo and Dickory Dock!  Welcome back!  It's time for the Holiday Sing-Along!  EVERYBODY!!!

On Thanksgiving Weekend, the cosmos sent to me:
12 a.m online sales
11 mile-long lines
10 missed parking spaces
9 extra feet of garland
days of leftovers
7 trips to Walmart
lost tracking numbers
FIVE EXTRA POUNDS!!!!
4 Egg Nog lattes
3 freebie totebags
2 broken ornaments
And a pneumonic parakeet!


Alright, alright!  I admit it!  I exaggerated a bit.  There were only two Egg Nog lattes and one broken ornament, but that didn't fit the song!  The rest is pretty much spot-on, though.  I stayed up until slightly after midnight Black Friday to place my Victoria's Secret online order.  The Sephora order went through a little after 2:30 am.  I live directly across the street from the mall, so I could watch the crazies line up at Toys 'R' Us and Best Buy starting around 6:30 pm Thanksgiving.  They came with all manner of tents, chairs, port-a-potties (seriously)...you name it.  I could almost understand lining up that early for Toys 'R' Us, since they opened at 10 pm, but Best Buy wasn't opening for almost twelve hours.  That's insane, especially considering the sales there, and at most places, were pretty weak this year.  At least, they were around here.  Sure, you could get a Wii game for $20, but only one that was regularly priced at $20.  Disappointed.  Did anybody score anything really amazing?  If so, I'd love to hear about it in the comments. 

If nothing else, the tree is up and the house is decorated, although the downstair's lack of wall decor is really noticeable now.  The presents are all bought and wrapped, and I almost feel like I can exhale.  I think I'll feel better next Thursday after my Christmas gig.  I'm the musical entertainment for a charity silent auction.  It should be fun, but it's been...interesting so far.  They don't have a playable piano, so I can't have live accompaniment, which left me looking for karaoke tapes.  It's a workable solution, but not necessarily my preferred option.  Sure, I'd love to sing "O Holy Night", but not necessarily in the style of Avril Lavigne (yes, that exists).  Luckily, Thomas found some more traditional downloads for me on Amazon.  Now, I just have to figure out the best way to play them and practice, practice, practice. 

Lastly, the bird is okay.  Rufus (you may remember the last time he was ill) decided to give us all a scare and stop moving, so we spent Saturday afternoon in the animal E.R.  $200 and a very tiny X-ray later, we learned that he has a touch of pneumonia.  So now, I get to wrangle him, wrap him in a towel, and force-feed liver flavored drops to him twice a day.  Thomas keeps telling him we're going to try waterboarding him next. 

So yeah, throw in a couple of trips to Mom's house and a few loads of laundry and you have my Thanksgiving weekend.  How was it for you guys? 

In other news, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a darn good movie.  Granted, there are plot holes you could drive a truck through, but I'm fairly sure all will be resolved in the second part.  There are also enough scares and surprises to keep you on the edge of your seat to the very end.  Just try to avoid having a small child with a loud voice and inattentive mother sitting behind you.  I learned all sorts of neat things from the one behind me.  Things like:  what was going to happen in the next scene, the results of his trip to the bathroom, and (my favorite) that the vision in his left eye was better than vision in his right.  *head desk*

Lastly, if you're like me and gained a ton of weight over the weekend (and before, but let's blame the turkey, shall we?), I can actually recommend a fast food salad that doesn't suck and won't exacerbate the problem.  Wendy's BLT Cobb is amazing.  A (generous!) half-portion will run you about $3.99, and comes with spring mix lettuce, tomato, bleu cheese crumbles, egg, applewood smoked bacon, and grilled chicken.  There's also a wonderful avacado ranch dressing on the side, but I enjoyed it without.  230 calories and 13 grams of fat without dressing.  340 calories and 23 grams of fat with.  To give you some perspective on this, a slim-fast drink contains between 170 and 190 calories, and I normally need to add a 100 calorie cheese stick to it to get me by for an hour or two.  This salad has kept me full for almost three hours, and I really only want a light snack.  A half-cup serving of sweet potatoes with all the fixings (no idea how many calories!) only killed my hunger for about 30 minutes.  That's something to think about. 

1 comment:

  1. yeah, i avoided all that black friday business like the plague. we hid out and watched the iron bowl in relative peace and quiet (since no one cares about it up here...)

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...