Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cheap Tricks: E.L.F. Studio Line Brushes

It's been a while since I posted any Cheap Tricks, so here's one for you: E.L.F. Studio Line Brushes. $3-$8 each, elfcosmetics.com.

I know, they're three bucks. How good could they be? You'd be surprised. They're sleek black, professional-grade, synthetic taklon that can be used wet or dry, are super-soft, and tough as nails. I know I've put mine through the wringer, and they just keep coming back for more. Liquids and creams go on smoothly and evenly, and powders are attracted almost like a magnet. Basically, if you want good brushes that are going to last and not completely break the bank, you can't do better than these.

E.L.F. just makes darn good brushes. I had to buy a ton of powder brushes for the movie (one per actor, so about 40 total). They didn't have to be great, since they were only going to be used to brush baby powder off of greasepaint, so our makeup designer, Jessica, grabbed as many brushes as possible from the dollar store. Unfortunately, we still needed about 25 more after that run, so I pulled up E.L.F. and ordered the rest out of the $1 basic brush set. When they came in, Jessica was beyond impressed with the reusable packaging, the high-quality bristles, and the fact that I had shown up with near-professional brushes for a buck a piece. Those weren't even half as good as the $3 Studio Line brushes. E.L.F. just makes darn good brushes.

If you get these (and I highly recommend them), pick up a $3 bottle of Daily Brush Cleaner. Spray a little on a paper towel or some folded toilet paper, and swirl your brush around after you've used it. It'll clear off a lot of gunk and keep your brushes fresh between shampoos. I've not tried the E.L.F. Brush Shampoo, but for $3, it might be worth a shot. I'm partial to Sephora's travel size shampoo, myself, which runs $6.

Right now (through the 8th), E.L.F. has a special running, where you can get an 11-piece Studio Line brush set (eleven brushes plus a case) for half-price. The $30 set would only be $15 when you use the code FAVES at checkout. You can also buy brushes individually, and save 25% off orders of $10 or more with the code BRUSH. Oh! I almost forgot! For a limited time, you can order the 11-piece set with glittery handles.

And now, a challenge for you, dear readers! I'm considering compiling a gift guide for the holidays, but I need you to let me know who you're shopping for! Is it a Makeup Maven? A Gadget Guru? A Hapless Handyman? Let me know in the comments, and I'll see what I can find. Thanks!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin thanks so much for this info I really wanted these brushes but did not want to pay $30 bucks for them great deal

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...