Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Shine On Me: Smashbox Reflection-High Shine Lip Gloss

Previously on Adorable Napalm: Erin placed an order at Smashbox, and received a ton of free stuff in the process. As a recovering sample junkie, she is determined to use every item she received and blog about the results.

I thought I'd start with the one sample I didn't technically request. The Reflection-High Shine Lip Gloss ($19, Smashbox*) came as a result of joining the Pretty Points program.

For starters, let me just say that this is a great size for a sample. It's .19 oz, which is a little more than half of the .36 oz full-size product. It also comes in a miniaturized version of the full-size packaging, so you have plenty of product to test, and a good idea of what application will entail. In this case, the applicator is the molded tip of the tube. Automatically, I'm a fan. There's nothing I hate more than using a wand to apply a light or clear gloss over lipstick, then have to stick the lipstick covered wand back in the tube. You end up with slightly tinted gloss, and it just bugs the daylights out of me. There's no worry of that with this product, so points for that. Another plus, no taste and no scent. I can't tell you how many lip glosses I've tossed because their fragrance gave me a headache. Initial Reaction: 9 out of 10.

Now, for the product itself. According to Smashbox:
"This advanced formula gloss saturates lips with a high impact shine. Vitamins and hyaluronic acid deeply moisturize, fill in lines, and naturally plump lips for the perfect glossy pout. Wear it alone or over any lip color – the reflective pearlescent shade looks stunning on every skin tone and leaves a gorgeous glossy sheen that lasts for hours."

Let's go down the list, shall we?

1) High Impact Shine: Check. You can use a little of this for a pretty "Oh, I just slapped this on because I'm so naturally beautiful I no longer care about makeup" look, or you can pile it on and have lips that look like vinyl. Either way, there's tons of shine, and enough super-fine glitter to shimmer without looking tacky. 9 out of 10.

2) Moisturize, Fill In Lines, and Plump Lips: Believe it or not, Check. I don't have any lines to fill, but my lips feel hydrated, and there is a very slight bee-sting effect. I'm not Angelina Jolie, but my lips do look a little bit fuller. 8 out of 10.

3) Universally Flattering (paraphrased): Um...it's basically clear. So, yeah...Check. In the tube, the gloss is an almost scary white color, but on your lips, the gloss is a cloudy clear shade, that, in conjunction with the shine, shimmer and sting, beautifully accentuates your natural lip color and shape. This makes for one seriously sexy pout. I kind of feel like I just stepped out of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. Well, my lips, anyway. 9 out of 10.

4) Lasts For Hours: Half Check. It lasts for a good long time for a gloss. It is still going to wear off when you eat, or if you talk for extended periods. I also wouldn't recommend it for a hot date. However, for regular wear, it stays on pretty well. Unfortunately, this long-wear comes with a price. It's sticky. I mean, really sticky. Don't wear this on a windy day, unless you've already settled on a ponytail-based hairstyle. Otherwise, you will end up with a mouthfull of hair. 5 out of 10.

Final Verdict: 8 out of 10. For enhanced natural beauty, this is a winner.

*Currently out of stock at Smashbox, but available at Sephora for the same price.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...