Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Night At the Oscars

This was written in real time. It's a terrible format, but I wanted to capture as much of the *yawn* excitement as I could. Actually, this year's ceremony was really enjoyable. One of the best in recent years, I'd say. Anyway, please bear with me as I track the awards as they happen.

******************************************************************************

I'm writing this during the Oscar telecast, and as of 7:49, I am 0 for 2. Awesome. That bodes well...

First off, how freaking adorable are Anne Hathaway and James Franco?! I want to eat them up, they are so cute. Loved the opening. Also, the set is gorgeous! Check out the jewels on the stairs!

Okay, Best Gowns So Far:
  • Hailee Steinfeld (how sweet, fresh, and age-appropriate, with just the right amount of makeup)
  • Anne Hathaway (the first, white gown--wow!)
  • Mila Kunis (va-va-voom!)

Fave Moments So Far:
  • Kirk Douglas still sharp as a tack, and Melissa Leo asking Douglas out.
  • Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem dancing together in matching tuxedos. Also, how much does Javier Bardem look like Jeffrey Dean Morgan? They could play brothers.
  • Aaron Sorkin demanding respect from his daughter's guinea pig.
  • A Pixar movie winning in front of a Dreamworks background, but I'm evil.

Worst Moments So Far: Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake stumbling through their presentation. Geez...two funny people who could've done better.

Picks I Nailed So Far:
  • Best Supporting Actress Melissa Leo (if you like her eyeshadow, try Urban Decay's Stardust in Space Cowboy. If it's not the same, it's darn close. I should know. I'm wearing it right now. Freaky.)
  • Best Animated Feature Toy Story 3
  • Best Adapted Screenplay The Social Network

Okay, let's take a break at 8:28, catch our breaths, and eat some delicious slice and bake cookies (with milk!). By the way, Holy High Notes, Batman, Hathaway can SING!!!!!! Dear Lord, that was awesome! Also, Hugh Jackman and James Franco are amazing sports.

8:30. Folding laundry. Here we go:

Picks I Nailed:
  • Best Supporting Actor Christian Bale (Batman got an Oscar!)
  • Best Original Score The Social Network
  • Sound Mixing Inception.

Worst Gowns:
  • Scarlet Johanssen
  • Anne Hathaway's second gown (ew).

WTHeck Moments: Did John Williams write every movie score on the planet, save West Side Story?

8:53. I have clean sheets now. Yay.

Best Gowns:
  • Marisa Tomei (just a great overall look)
  • Cate Blanchett (actually, I hate the gown, but she looks breathtaking in it)
  • Mandy Moore (I think it's lovely. Thomas thinks she looks like a feather duster. Taste is subjective.)

Worst Gowns:
  • Amy Adams (Me: "I don't like her dress." Thomas: "I don't like her." Really, it's not the dress. It just doesn't go with the jewelry, and that annoyed me greatly.)
  • Audrey Marrs

Picks I Nailed:
  • Best Makeup The Wolfman (YAY!! Seriously, it'd have been a crime if it hadn't)
  • Best Costume Design Alice In Wonderland
Fave Moments: Harry Potter the Musical. Wow. That whole montage was awesome.

The first two musical numbers aired, and while they were lovely, neither held a candle to the montage of fan favorite movie songs. What happened to the iconic movie scores and songs? I miss them.

9:26. I have eight correct, and Billy Crystal just took the stage!!! Woohoo!!!

Fave Moments:
  • Bob Hope hosting the Oscars. Time filler, yes, but really kind of cool.
  • Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law being effortlessly cool.

Picks I Nailed:
  • Visual Effects Inception
  • Film Editing The Social Network
Best Gown: Anne Hathaway (Dress #3)

Worst Gowns:
  • Jennifer Hudson (Gorgeous dress, and she looks amazing, but the top of the dress is horribly unflattering. Something about the fit is off. I'm picky, sorry)
  • Gwyneth Paltrow (her best song dress. Unflattering. The one she wore on the red carpet was fabulous, though.)
Fave Moment: Randy Newman winning. He's so sweet and funny, I want to hug him.

9:52. Celine Dion is singing. Thomas is grumbling. In Memoriam.

Let me just take a moment to thank the directors for showing the entire In Memoriam in full screen, and the audience for holding its applause until the end. That was the most respectful I've seen yet. Truly lovely.

Best Gowns: Hillary Swank (WANTS IT MY PRECIOUS!!)

Worst Gowns: Kathryn Bigelow (baggy, weird cutouts, unflattering color...I could go on...)

WTHeck Moment: Tom Hooper looks like a young James Cameron, and Cameron's ex gave him the award. Hee.

10:11. Love the Chinese Theatre set.

Best Gowns:

  • Jennifer Lawrence (bombshell!)
  • Natalie Portman (picture perfect, and I'm betting tassel earrings are the next big trend)
  • Nicole Kidman (again, hate the dress, but the whole look is everything a movie star should be)
  • Sandra Bullock (class act, and goes great with the set!)
Picks I Nailed:

  • Best Actress Natalie Portman
  • Best Actor Colin Firth (About bloody time!)
Fave Moment: Colin Firth threatening to dance. If only he had.

10:32. Steven Spielberg (Thomas: "Daddy?!")

Picks I Nailed: Best Picture The King's Speech.

Fave Moment: Cute children singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I think I just melted into a little puddle. Adorable.

So, out of 24 awards, I got 13 right, including Best Picture and all four acting awards. Not too shabby. Best dress of the night? Going with Anne Hathaway's first number. Worst goes to Kathryn Bigelow.

With that, I bid you all goodnight. Exit Stage Right.

2 comments:

  1. my commentary:

    best picture should've been true grit (though i also would have accepted toy story 3 or winter's bone).
    hallie steinfeld should've been best supporting actress (and frankly should've been nominated as best actress - she was the star).
    geoffrey rush should've been best supporting actor.
    jennifer lawrence should've been best actress, though natalie portman was my close second, so that's no big deal.

    mila kunis was HIGH as a KITE, and she nearly fell out of that super-cute dress (though the man was NOT complaining about that).

    and anne hathaway should've kept the first dress. not that the others were bad (except the last one), but she knocked that first one out of the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True Grit was an amazing movie. I think it should have taken home more than nice memories. I'm guessing Steinfeld was put in the Supporting category because of her age, which is ridiculous. She WAS that movie. Can't argue with Rush, ever. Kunis embarrassed herself, which is sad, and Anne's first dress put the rest to shame. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...