Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Walk the Line: Smashbox Limitless Eye Liner

In continuation of this week's apparent "All Smashbox, All the Time" theme, today I have a review on their Limitless Eye Liner pencil ($19, Smashbox). This was one of the (many) samples they sent with my recent order. See, I have a tendency to hoard samples; you know, save them for a rainy day. Well, no more. They took over the bathroom drawers at our old apartment, so I have sworn never to do that again. Now, as soon as they come in, they get used. Hence, all the reviews this week.

Now, I'm a huge fan of Smashbox's Limitless Liquid Liner Pen, but it can be a little severe at times. I thought that a softer look might be more fitting for Spring's beachy waves and flowy fabrics. When I saw the opportunity to try a pencil form of my beloved liquid, well, that just seemed perfect.

Here's what Smashbox had to say about the pencil:

"Our new waterproof long-wearing liner provides bold definition that won’t smudge or budge for up to 8 hours. This creamy, easy-to-apply formula contains vitamin E and jojoba oil to moisturize and protect. The cap houses a unique built-in sharpener so you’ll always have the most precise application."

Here's what I have to say:

First off, my sample didn't come with a cap/sharpener, so I couldn't test that part, but I will say that it was mighty considerate of Smashbox to add that feature. This pencil is chunky, and the body is very dense, so having a sharpener designed specifically for it is a plus. I haven't tried it in mine because, frankly, I'm afraid to. I don't want to damage my sharpener.

The pencil itself is very easy to handle and glides on without tugging, though it might take a couple of swipes before the line is completely solid. The color payoff is rich and creamy, but soft enough to keep from looking harsh. The color I tried was Onyx (matte black), and I personally think it's too dark for the lower lashline during the day, but it smudges beautifully for an evening or smoky look.

Now, for the not-so-good bits. There was some transfer to my upper lid. Not much, and easily fixed, but considering the fact that I was also wearing a lid primer, there's no excuse for that to happen with a liner that isn't supposed to smudge or budge for 8 hours. That said, it only happened once, so it might have just been a fluke. We do have very high humidity down here in the ninth cir--I mean, deep South.

I love that this pencil is infused with all sorts of goodies to keep our lids pretty and smooth. Anything that wards off the dreaded eye wrinkle is tops in my book. The liner comes in several shades, and I'm particularly drawn to Black Violet (self-explanatory shade, I think). Hazel eyes tend to enjoy anything purple. Indigo Ink is a very, very, very deep navy, and would be lovely on brown eyes.

Final Verdict: Not bad. Good for your skin with nice color payoff and limited smudging. 7 out of 10.

*UPDATE: I wore this again today (Thursday, 2/24), and some had some pretty major fading within two hours. If you choose to wear this eyeliner, carry it with you for touchups. Knocking the score down a notch.

Final Final Verdict: 6 out of 10. Still a nice pencil, but a little high maintenance.

1 comment:

  1. ooh, sounds good. i'm thinking of switching from my beloved MAC eyeliner, and this may be my next try...

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...