Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sweet Temptations: Victoria's Secret Attractions Body Care

Spring is a cruel mistress. Down here in Hel--I mean, er, the Deep South--we're already experiencing temperatures in the 80s and humidity so high that you practically need a straw to breathe. It's hot. It's miserable, and it's time to show some skin.

Now, my skin is lily-white, and may cause blindness when looked upon in direct sunlight, but I'll save that rant for another day. Before I could even think about slathering on sunless tanner, I needed to get this parched, scaly mess I call "skin" (and I use that term loosely. "Leather" or "Reptile Hide" might be more appropriate) in tip-top condition. MOISTURIZE ME!!!!!

Just as I began to research all the different lotions and potions available (besides the Jergen's I'm currently using to try to reduce the appearance of cellulite--which is still working, by the way. Yay!), an advertisement for Victoria's Secret Attractions Body Care hit my inbox. For $25, I could pick up three products instore (it's 2/$24 and 3/$30 online, for some unknown reason), get a Secrets Reward Card, and walk away with yet another free tote bag that will collect dust on my closet shelf. Well, shoot, let's do that!

The line is broken down into four collections: Wild One, Sweet Cravings, Glam Goddess, and Love Bitten. Each collection consists of a Daily Body Wash, Indulgent Body Cream, Nourishing Body Lotion, and Fragrance Mist. I decided to get the body wash, mist, and the body lotion. I considered the body cream, but as hot as it gets down here, I worried that it might just end up sliding off of me by the end of the day.

Once I decided on my products, I needed to settle on a scent. Wild One is raspberry and lily, Sweet Cravings is vanilla and praline, Glam Goddess is freesia, and Love Bitten is "forbidden" apple. I can only assume that last one is for the Twi-hards. My gut reaction was to go with Sweet Cravings, but once I sampled it, I realized that was more of a Fall scent. I ended up with Wild One, since I love raspberry, and thought it would go nicely with my Givenchy Hot Couture perfume.

The packaging is precious. All products come in clear bottles, and the lotion boasts a wonderfully convenient pump. There's nothing like trying to squeeze lotion out of tube when your hands are greasy. Each product is labeled with a screenprint of a colorful leopard-print background, edged in black lace. Wild One is pink, Sweet Cravings is a golden cream, Glam Goddess is lavender, and Love Bitten is bright baby blue.

Before I go any further, I feel I should point out that all VS Attractions products contain something called EverTempt. This is basically a synthetic pheremone created from ingredients that, when tested, were found to be the most alluring to men. Out of 40 scents tested, the five that make up EverTempt were proven to create the most, ahem, excitement. This "pheremone" also reacts to your body chemistry for a custom scent that changes as your mood fluctuates. I'm a skeptic, myself, but that's the information. Do with it what you will.

Alrighty, back to the review.

Scent: It's a little chemical for my taste, but not so much that I can't wear it. I just can't wear my Givenchy with it because the raspberry scents will clash. Honestly, though, once you layer the mist over the lotion over the body wash, you don't need anything else. It's a lot of fragrance, but not so strong as to annoy your co-workers. I did find myself re-applying lotion or fragrance mist (not both!) during the day as the scent faded. On the plus side, Thomas said I smelled good. 7 out of 10.

Body Wash: I'm not a fan. I will not "like" this on Facebook. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can not get this to lather, no matter what. I've used hot water, copious amounts of product, held my tongue just so...doesn't matter. All I can say is that it smells nice, and I think it's getting me clean. If nothing else, the pouf I'm using is helping to exfoliate my skin. 4 out of 10.

Body Lotion: Easily my favorite of the group. This is light, so it doesn't sweat off in the humidity, and incredibly moisturizing. I love the way my skin feels after I use it, and that it lasts all day. 9 out of 10.

Fragrance Mist: I really like this, too. It's an easy, quick way to refresh the scent as it fades. It also, as it turns out, makes a lovely air freshener if you happen to turn the nozzle the wrong direction. Not that I would ever do something so moronic. 8 out of 10.

EverTempt: I'm not scoring this. I just, out of curiosity, wondered if it would work. Not that I expected results similar to an Axe Body Spray commercial (in reverse, of course), but I was interested to see if men treated me any differently when I wore these products. Now, I'm a happily married woman with a husband who adores me (I'm a lucky girl), so I'm not, by any means, looking or flirting or anything else like that. I was on the look out for chivalry; common courtesy from the male gender.

I have no idea if this stuff works. Yeah, a couple of gentlemen held doors for me, but that's nothing unusual. I had pleasant conversations with some male friends, but again, that's not new. They're friends, for crying out loud. Most of our conversations are pleasant. What I will say is this product line makes me feel sexier. I feel more attractive, therefore I exude more confidence. If there is anything sexier than confidence, I haven't run across it, yet. Maybe there's something to this EverTempt. Maybe it's the most potent fragrance blend ever invented. Then again, maybe it's one really fantastic placebo effect. I'm banking on the latter, but I'm not complaining.

Final Verdict: 7 out of 10. It's flawed, but makes me happy. If you're a fan of normal VS lotions, give it a shot.

1 comment:

  1. ooh, vicky's has an apple scent again? nice. i've been rocking love spell for so long that it's time for a change. the vanilla praline sounds divine. and now i want pralines... :)

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...