Monday, September 19, 2011

You're All Winners! (Some Just Have Better Stylists Than Others)

Here's a fun problem for today: I run a pop-culture/beauty blog, therefore I feel it is my duty to recap the Emmy fashions for you guys. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, I can't post any pictures. This annoys me. Sooooo...I'm going to give you a link to a whole bunch of pretty pictures, and leave my thoughts on those pictures here. This is ridiculous, but it's the best I can do, given the circumstances. Grrr. Arrg.

Before we start, please note that this link takes you to AOLtv's Best/Worst dressed list. Some, I agree with; others, not so much. Alright, is everybody comfortable? Then we may begin...

Gwyneth Paltrow in Pucci: I don't like it. The beadwork is stunning, and she's got the abs to pull it off, but it really just looks like her very conservative (dare I say, boring?) dress got Freddy-slashed across the middle. Apparently, I'm the only one who hated it, but I'm sticking to my guns.

Christina Hendricks in Johanna Johnson: I love it. I think it's gorgeous, and she looks like a movie star. If I had curves like those, I'd want to show them off, too. The color is terrific for her skintone, and she just sparkles--with or without the rhinestones.

Nina Dobrev in Donna Karan: Wowza! This fitted gown perfectly shows off Dobrev's pitch-perfect figure, while the draping of the mermaid skirt adds drama while keeping the classic style young and fun.

Padma Lakshmi in Armani Prive: I love the color, but I'm going along with every other critic in saying this looks like a nightgown. In fact, I have one very similar to it in blue that came from Avon. She's a gorgeous woman, but this was a miss.

Jennifer Westfeldt in vintage Helena Barbieri: I'm not even mentioning Jon Hamm, because the man could have shown up in bubble wrap and I'd still think he looked amazing. Ms. Westfeldt was one of my favorite looks of the night. The bright color was a risk, but one that really paid off. She positively glowed.

Taraji P. Henson in Blumarine: Sparkly potato sack. Bless her heart. (From the neck up, she's lovely. So there's that.)

Sofia Vergara in Vera Wang: One of my other favorite looks of the night. Color, cut, fit...all flawless.

Cobie Smulders in a really pretty dress that someone designed: I have no idea who made this, but I love them. This dress flashed on the screen for about two seconds, and I looked over at Thomas and said, "I LOVE THAT DRESS!!! I don't even know who's wearing it, and I love it!!!!!!!" Really. That blue just pops and brings out her already envy-inducing eyes. The shorter hairstyle also makes me think of a young Elizabeth Taylor. It's perfection, and my number one pick of the night.

Minka Kelly in Dior: Lose the sleeves and open up the neckline a bit, and I think she might have had a stunner. As it is, it makes me think of Morticia Adams. It's a shame, too. I expected better from both.

Cat Deely in Monique Lhuillier: I don't hate this dress, but I don't think it fits properly. Maybe it's just the way she's standing. If the fit were just a bit better, and that weird cord traded in for a rhinestone belt, then I'd be all over this look. I also think an updo would have worked better. She looks like she's having a blast, though, and really, that's all that matters.

Paz de la Huerta in...something: Every awards night should have at least one train wreck, and this was last night's. The dress wasn't great, but what really did me in was the blue lipstick and unbrushed hair. Really? I just...I just don't get it.

Christine Baranski in an amazing dress: No idea who the designer was, but they should be applauded. This was a sexy, classy, and completely age-appropriate gown. It looks fantastic on her, and she seems to be thoroughly happy with the end result, as she should be.

Joel McHale in something blue: Awwww, I still love him. It's an ugly suit, but he's too precious in it to criticize him too badly.

Lea Michele in Marchesa: I'm in the minority on this, but I don't like it. The sleeves are a little too Dynasty for my taste, and the long, straight hair kept covering them up. With dramatic shoulder poufs, either go big or go home. Don't cover 'em up with your hair, no matter how pretty and shiny it may be. A rare miss for Ms. Michele.

Julianna Margulies in Armani: She just doesn't look comfortable. Between being poured into such a stiff dress, then having her hair fixed in a very stiff style, the whole stiff look just looks contrived and awkward. Awesome actress and gorgeous girl, but not her best look.

Emily Blunt in Elie Saab Couture: Again, I'm going to skip right over John Krasinski, because I can't be objective. I have too big a crush, sad to say. With that, all I can add is, "Ms. Blunt, I want your dress." This is frilly in all the best ways, and the navy blue color keeps it from being too precious. She looks wonderful.

Olivia Munn in something unflattering: Again, lovely girl, awful dress. Nothing fits, and the dress actually makes her look larger than she is. Great color for her, though.

Kerry Washington in Zuhair Murad: This is 21st Century flapper done right. The color and fit are perfect, and the fringe is done in such a way as to add interest to the dress without venturing into Vegas showgirl territory. It's just beautiful.

Diana Agron in Roksanda Ilincic: I have nothing nice to say about this dress, so I'm leaving it at that. She's a pretty girl, though, and her hair looks nice. That's all I got.

Jane Lynch in David Meister: I thought she looked radiant. The dress sparkled, and so did the hostess.

Adrienne Palicki in a nice dress: I like this. It's Jessica Rabbit in all the right ways. Palicki brought a little old Hollywood glamour to the carpet last night. The black ankle-strap shoes bring home the retro vibe.

Claire Danes in Oscar de la Renta: Normally, I hate patterns, but this dress changed my mind by adding interest to a very classic, sometimes overdone shape. Ms. Danes looked both classic and fashion-forward at the same time, and the result was ravishing.

Alan Cumming in Jean Paul Gualtier: You know, why not? Pajama pants made the evening comfy, and the overall look made me giggle. Yes, it atrocious, but it's Alan Cumming and he's made of awesome, so he gets a pass. But no, I would never, ever let my husband out of the house like that. Not that he'd even try.

Kaley Cuoco in Romona Keveza: Adorable! The dress is fresh and young, while still very classy, and the bright accessories pop.

Zooey Deschanel in pink: Again, no clue on the designer. This dress has been the controversy of the night. Seems you either love it or you hate it. I love it. Yes, it's big, it's pink, and the accessories are a little...quirky, but it's Zooey Deschanel! She's bubbly and bright and...quirky, too, so it only makes sense! I thought the dress looked lovely on her and truly fit her personality, and her hair and makeup only upped the cute quotient. It's not always about dressing for the camera. Sometimes, it's about dressing for yourself. I think she did both.

Heidi Klum in Christian Siriano, and Seal in most of a tux: Ms. Klum is too cute in her little can-can number. The neutral tone keeps it from being too Moulin Rouge. Seal just forgot to finish getting dressed, it seems. It's understandable. I hear awards nights are a little stressful. The cut of the tux is perfect, though.

So, there you go, my thoughts on some of the fashion highlights of the night. Any favorites I missed? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...