Friday, July 13, 2012

Frugal Friday: Checking Out Wet N Wild's Megas!

If you've been around here for any length of time, then you'll know how much I love Revlon lip butters. They're beautiful, moisturizing, last a decent length of time, and the packaging is precious. Still, I do love a good bargain, and I'd heard that Wet N Wild had their own version. I didn't know the name of the product, though, so I picked up two items that looked similar to the lip butters (I've since seen a third, a lip lacquer, but have not had the opportunity to try it) to see if there was any comparison. Let's take a look, shall we?


Left to Right: Mega Last Lip Color in Just Peachy, Mega Shield Lip Color SPF 15 in Pink Champagne


Top to Bottom: Mega Last Lip Color in Just Peachy, Mega Shield Lip Color SPF 15 in Pink Champagne
 I think you can tell by looking at these swatches that neither one is a lip butter, so I need to keep looking. Still, since we're here, and since these are only $1.99 each, let's take a look at these.

Mega Last Lip Color in Just Peachy
I really hate this product. There it is. I said it, and I'm incredibly sorry. It's going in the trash can. The swatch isn't bad, but on your lips...okay, let me describe it this way: when I was about 12, my Mom and Dad let me start wearing lipstick. That was it; just lipstick. Immediately, I became enthralled by the Wet N Wild display at Phar-Mor. I'd say at least 75% of my allowance went to different shades of lipstick, each pinker and tackier than the last (I was 12!), and my favorite was called Petal Pink. It was this godawful Barbie-pink, chalky, super-dry abomination that make my lips look like I'd coated them down in Pepto-Bismol, and I thought it was fabulous.

This looks exactly the same, only slightly more orange. In 20 years, only the packaging and my taste have improved.

Mega Shield Lip Color SPF 15 in Pink Champagne
In direct contrast, I'm really enjoying this lip color! It's closer to a CoverGirl Gloss Balm than a lip butter, but that's just fine with me. In addition to being a lovely shade, the product is very moisturizing, has no discernible flavor or scent, and contains the all-important SPF. It's not very long lasting, though. That's really the only drawback I've seen. This is also a much more pigmented product than I originally thought it would be. There's nothing sheer about this pink!

I thought the packaging for both products was very pretty, though both caps are difficult to remove, and I finally gave up on ever getting all of the plastic off of the Pink Champagne.

Final Verdict: Skip the Mega Last, but pick up every color you can of the Mega Shield. They're beautiful, feel good, give protection, and are less than two bucks a pop.

Wearing Pink Champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...