Tuesday, July 3, 2012

They Say It's Your Birthday (Na Na Na Na): June Favorites

Y'all seemed to enjoy last month's favorites post, so I thought I'd try it again for June (the month of my birth, in case you were wondering about the title). Instead of picking a high-end and drugstore product for each category, I decided to go with exactly what I've gravitated toward recently, which still resulted in a pretty decent mix of price points, I think. Let's take a look!

Eyes

Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow/Liner in Sippin' n' Dippin'
(Please, God, tell me that the name refers to sassparillas and swimmin' in the ol' creek, and not to moonshine and chewing tobacco. Please?) I love cream shadows for Summer because they just melt into the skin and look so natural and dewy. The last thing I want is a lot of heavy, caked-on makeup when it's 300-degrees outside. This shade is a gorgeous soft, golden peach with an iridescent sheen. It's stunning. Absolutely stunning.

Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Freelove
This is also a golden peach, but one that's much more vibrant. On the rare occasion that I do want a powder shadow, this is a beautiful one. It's so pigmented that you don't need much. I like to use it as the lid color for a smoky eye. It adds an unexpected pop of color that keeps the look interesting and seasonal.

Lips

Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Balm in Copacabana
This, and the next product, stays in my purse these days. The color is that perfect "my lips, only better" nude, and there's just a hint of holographic sparkle to create the appearance of added fullness. It's lovely, and the packaging couldn't be cuter or more purse friendly. There's even a mirror in the lid!

Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rose
It's too hot for lipstick, but sometimes I need a little color. This adds a beautiful rose tint without being heavy or sticky. It's also unbelievably moisturizing, and I adore the packaging. The lid screws on, so there's no worry of ending up with a purse full of rose tinted ickiness.

Face

E.L.F. Tinted Moisturizer
It's light, pretty, covers decently, smells nice, contains SPF, and costs three bucks. Seriously, why would I use anything else?

Benefit Hoola Bronzing Powder
This bronzer warms up my skin without adding shimmer. It's been around forever, so I'm sure I have nothing to say that hasn't been said. I keep it on my counter, and have another in my film makeup kit.
This picture sucks. I apologize. New phone, new camera, new pixel rate to deal with. Anyhoo, I'm wearing ALL of the favorites in this picture, with the exception of the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment. I wish you could see the eyeshadow better, but at least you can see that bright peach isn't as scary as it sounds. Also, my eyebrows actually look decent, for once. So, at least, there's that.

Nails

Sephora by O.P.I. in It's Bouquet With Me
I know I must have mentioned this one before, because it's one of my all-time favorites. The polish has a lilac base with a mixture of holographic chunky glitter and silver micro-glitter. Wear it alone; wear it as a top coat; it's just really, really pretty.

China Glaze Hunger Games in Foie Gras
Yes, I'm still on my Hunger Games polish kick. No, I have not seen the movie or read any of the books, yet. Sue me. This polish is a super-cool, almost lavendar-toned brown. I know, brown's not the first color that comes to mind for Summer, but it really works! I layered It's Bouquet With Me over the top of one nail, as an accent, and I'm really loving the way it looks. It went perfectly with a flowy lavendar sundress I wore to a formal Summer wedding.

This is Foie Gras with It's Bouquet With Me layered over the accent nail. Sure, there are a couple of chips here and there, but I've been wearing it since Saturday, and it's now Tuesday. That's not bad, folks. Not bad, at all.
Body

Pacifica Indian Coconut Nectar Body Butter
I got this last year, and it's earned a prominent spot on my counter. When you first apply this, the cream feels very dry, and I know I wondered how on Earth it was going to moisturize anything. As it sinks in, though, you notice a definite difference in the texture of your skin. You feel more supple and smooth, and any sign of ashy or scaly skin is gone. On top of that, the scent is a slightly spicy vanilla-coconut that just screams, "beach party".

Bath and Body Works Select-A-Shimmer in Be Enchanted
I fell in love with this scent at Thanksgiving, when I received a bottle of the bath gel in the Bath and Body Works Black Friday bag. Since then, it's pretty much the only bath gel I use, so I was thrilled to add this body lotion into the mix. Half of the tube is lotion, and the other half is shimmer gel. A little dial at the top lets you adjust how much shimmer you want mixed into your lotion. I keep mine set at 50/50, which gives just enough sparkle to diffuse the light and make my skin appear more toned, but isn't so much as to blind folks when I'm in direct sunlight. The fragrance is a sweet, but not sickly, pomegranate. Gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...