Monday, July 16, 2012

Rockabilly Glitter!: Sally Hansen Salon Effects Nail Polish Strips

This weekend, Fighting Owl filmed some stuff (details to follow, as soon as I know what's going on, myself), but I got to don the old Claire Renfield duds for the occasion! I've played a lot of characters in my day, but I have to say that she's one of very few that's earned a special place in my heart. Plus, her costumes are always ridiculously cute, and this one may have been the best, yet.

Anyway, since Claire is a little (okay, a lot) on the rockabilly side, I normally paint her nails bright red. This time, though, Thomas saw these, and nothing would do but I had to wear them.


Aren't they fabulous!?!

So, here's the deal with these little suckers: supposedly, because they go on dry, they're time-savers and fantastic for gals in a hurry. I call shenanigans. If you want to do these right, they take as long to apply, if not longer, as regular nail polish. You also really need to add a topcoat to secure the seal, which completely voids their whole "no drying time" claim. However, if you're into really intricate nail art, these might be right up your alley.


These are called Headbanger, and have, sadly, been discontinued, hence the clearance price. Would I pay $8.54 for these? Heck, no! You get one application! These are really only worth it if you can get them under five bucks.
  
I do like that they come with all of the tools you need. To apply, remove all existing polish. Then, push down cuticles with the included orange stick. Shape nails with hot pink side of file, then buff with the white side (not shown). Wipe nails down with polish remover, once more, to ensure the cleanest nails possible.

Choose the strip that best fits each nail, starting with pinky and working to thumb. Remove the plastic cover sheet and white backing, and break off silver tab. Apply to nail, holding strip in the middle for best control. Stretch stip to fit nail, then fold excess over the nail tip. Create a crease with the orange side of the nail file, and break off excess. Use the blunt side of the orange stick to seal all edges.


PROS: Really cute designs, relatively easy application, decent wear.
CONS: Pricey, chips easily during application and shortly after, requires a topcoat to seal, not a time-saver.

Final Verdict: 7 out of 10. I recommend these if you are into nail art and can catch them on sale.

Curious about that rockabilly look? This was taken after filming, and after I'd taken off my costume and put on my street clothes, so please pardon if I'm a little disheveled. 



Why, yes! That is a skull in my hair flower! If you like this look and want to know what products went into it, let me know in the comments.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...