Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ulta Haul! Featuring NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream

This is not the haul you're looking for. That would actually be an E.L.F. order that came in a couple of days ago. I needed some things for my film makeup kit, but I decided it would be best for me to review those items individually, once I've had a chance to play with them. It's mostly mascaras and eye primers, and I really don't want to open those any sooner than necessary, or they'll dry out. Sorry. In lieu of that, here's a bit of a piece-meal Ulta haul. I didn't get all of these things at one time, but sort of acquired them over a few paychecks. Enjoy!

1. Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil
One of these stays in my purse at all times. I talk and sing for a living, so my lips get pretty dried out. A swipe of this gives me a little bit of shine and a dab of color. This one, however, isn't for me. It's going in the film kit. See, we have a couple of guys in our film, and while I really don't want to put lipstick on them, they are going to need something on their lips to keep them from looking washed out, dried out, and, basically, zombied out. That might have been perfectly appropriate for our last movie, but not this one. This lip balm should do just the trick.

2. ULTA Extreme Wear Cream Eyeshadow
I haven't tried this. I haven't swatched it. I haven't even taken off the wrapper, yet. This was a free reward from Ulta, and I have absolutely zero expectations. I got the color "Premiere", which looks like a silvery taupe. Supposedly, this works as both a shadow and liner. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Here we go! I am so excited about this product! I picked one up a while back, then got two more during a 50% off sale (if it ain't half off, it ain't on sale). I've worn all three, now, and feel like I can honestly give you a full review and a whole-hearted recommendation.

First off, the colors I picked up were Stockholm (rosy nude), San Paulo (rose), and Monte Carlo (rosy red...notice a trend here? This one made me think a lot of MAC Berry Boost. I have no idea if they're dupes, but they're definitely in the same color family).

Stockholm (In low light. Sorry.)
San Paulo
Monte Carlo
These go on like a lipgloss, with a little doe foot applicator. As you can see from the photos, that's as close to a lipgloss as they get. These are opaque, highly pigmented, colors, and they last for-freaking-ever. After three hours of talking, eating, and drinking, all I need is a quick touch-up. They are drying, but I've found that I can swipe a little balm over the top and I'm good to go; no smearing, feathering, fading, or alteration of color.

My main cause for excitement, though, is the ease of application. I like a red lip (or a bright lip), and normally, to achieve that look I have to exfoliate, prep with a balm, line with a coordinated liner, line with a clear liner to prevent feathering, then apply lipstick with a brush, blot, re-apply, blot, re-re-apply, blot, and maybe coat with a gloss. That's a pain in the rear, and requires more time than I have. This...well, this I apply with the doe foot applicator...possibly while in the car...no liner, blotting, or whathaveyou needed.

I highly, highly recommend this. Just keep some Burt's Bees on hand for the dryness.


See! In the car! (Not driving!)

This is not a review. I've only worn this mascara once, so I'm not 100% ready to give it a yay or nay...but I'm already impressed. Let me draw your attention to the above photo. You see my lashes? I think they speak for themselves. That's two coats, no falsies, and I didn't even curl them. Holy moly moist cake!

I'm normally a Buxom girl for evenings and performances, and a Tarte girl (not a "tart", Mom!) for normal, everyday wear. This is somewhere in-between, and is making me rethink my life choices. The brush, incidentally, is the revelation. It's a fairly standard brush, except for the top, which has a little bulb-like thingy (technical term) on the end, with protruding bristles. That little sucker gets every.darn.lash. Even those hard to reach inner corner ones. If I'm honest, I think I might be falling a little bit in love with it.

I got the mini-version for ten bucks because I ran out of both my Tarte and Buxom on the same blasted day. I figured I could try this out for a while until I could replace of my beloveds. If this continues to perform like it did today, I might just stick with this.

The Look: If you like the "I threw this on in, literally, the four minutes and thirty seconds it took for my frozen diet entree to microwave" look pictured above, here are the products used:

Too Faced Beauty Balm in Vanilla Glow
Benefit Bo-ing Concealer in Light
Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette Eyeshadows in Tease (lid) and Busted (under eye)
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Whiskey
Benefit They're Real Mascara
E.L.F. Brow Kit in Medium (Yeah, I know...I need shaping. What's new?)
E.L.F. Brow Treat and Tame in Deep
Too Faced Pink Leopard Bronzing Powder (as blush)
NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...