Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sitting Pretty In Express Check-In

Summer Vacation! Sign me up! Right now, all I want to do is put on a swimsuit (and a cover up! Dear God!), slather on some sunscreen, grab a margarita and listen to crashing waves. Honestly, I can't think of anything in the world I'd rather do than just that. Lucky for me, I live 45 minutes from a gorgeous beach, so all I have to do is toss a cooler and towel in the trunk of my car and drive off into the sunshine. However, I know that's not the case for everyone. Some of you might even have to *gasp* brave air travel to get your beach on. Since Memorial Day is around the corner, and no one wants to have to check a bag if they can avoid it, here are my top purse-sized makeup palette choices to get you through the long weekend with no muss, no fuss, and hopefully, no strip searches*.

Okay, I picked five palettes that will not only take care of all of your color needs, but will also fit neatly inside your purse or beach bag for touch-ups. The only other things you might want to toss in your quart-sized Ziploc are a Garnier BB Cream (super-cheap and works great!), a waterproof mascara (, and maybe a liner (I like Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencil in Rehab for a natural, beachy look. Milani also has a drugstore dupe that's almost spot on). I don't even think I'd bother with powder, considering the humidity. Seriously, what would even be the point? But, of course, that's up to you. To keep your money handy for souveniers and mai tais, these are all under $30.
 
Photo Credit: Twilight Beauty

The teeniest of the bunch is the itty-bitty Luna Twilight (yes, that Twilight) Color Palette in Rosalie. It's, literally, the size of a credit card. Ultra-thin and lightweight, you'd never guess that it has two shadows (peachy champagne and a soft almost-tangerine), a peach lipstick, apricot gloss, and a good-sized blusher that rivals Benefit Coralista. I haven't reviewed this palette, for some odd reason, but I've played with it for a little while now, and think it makes one of the most beautiful, natural-looking makeups I've ever worn. The colors melt into your skin, making it seem as if you just naturally look this gorgeous. I'll be 32 in about three weeks, and, I swear, this makes me look more like I'll be 22. Can't say enough good about it. My only complaint: I wish you could buy the colors in larger sizes, as well. $28, and other characters are available. If that's a little steep for you, click this link to go to a discount site. It's only $12.99 there, and not a knock-off or anything shady like that. 
Photo Credit: Kaboodle


The next one is also $12.99, but that's its regular price. NYX Natural Look Kit in Nude On Nude contains nine neutral shadows and two pink-toned glosses, which could also double for cheek color (that's me talking, not NYX). I have not had the opportunity to test the kit out, but from my experience and research, this is a great deal on some quality products. There are several variations of this kit out there, but this bronzey-brown kit is my pick to look like a golden goddess over Memorial weekend.

Photo Credit: Musings of a Muse
Stila puts out some fantastic travel kits, and they're all very reasonably priced. Not So Nude may be the best-looking one they've had, to date. I say best-looking because I (again) haven't gotten to personally play with it, but if it's anything like their other kits, it's a winner. For only $20, you get six shadows (and I adore Stila shadows. They're like shimmery butter), an all-over highlight in cult-fave Kitten, and a convertible color for cheeks and lips in Lily. Again, it's perfect for a natural, carefree look.

Photo Credit: Sephora
This Sephora Collection Mini-Bag Makeup Palette is too adorable for words! I have seen this little $15 wonder up-close, and it's just darling. You get nine high-quality shadows in a range similar to the original UD Naked palette, four pretty glosses that range from nude to deep berry, and a lovely blush that reminds me of Avon Classic Aura (one of my favorites). When closed, the kit resembles a Sephora shopping bag, complete with logo and a little red handle.

Photo Credit: TooFaced
Lastly, and my favorite of the group, the TooFaced Glamour To Go Palette. This $22 pack of awesomeness comes with eight creamy shadows, a good-sized bronzer and blush duo, and a lovely transluscent pink gloss. The kit is also just as cute as can be, and closes down to about the size of a smartphone, give or take. Out of the five, this would be my pick, if only because of the included bronzer. You can do a lot with a good bronzer, and TooFaced makes some of the best, in my opinion.

Happy Trails, and bring me back a daiquiri!

*Please check all TSA Rules before packing any liquids or gels in your carry-on. Rules can change, and I don't want anyone to get in trouble. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...