Monday, February 20, 2012

Where the Wild Things Are

Things are crazy here in the land of Mardi Gras! Yesterday was Joe Cain Day, and an extended one, at that. Three Saturday parades that were postponed due to a torrential rainstorm were added to the already packed Sunday Carnival schedule. Today is Lundi Gras, with more parades, and tomorrow is the Granddaddy party of the Carnival season: Fat Tuesday!

I'll be at work.

Somebody please send me a moonpie.

Pretty please?

To make myself feel better, I dug up some heretofore unpublished photos from New Orleans 1938 Mardi Gras season. Things were different then...but not by that much.

Yeah...that's about right, I'd say. About the only thing missing is a street vendor trying to get through with a full cart of glo-sticks and t-shirts.
Photo Credit (All Black and White): Life
Photo Credit: The Oakland Press
Floats! You can't have Mardi Gras without floats, and this is pretty close to it's modern equivalent. The technology may have improved a bit, though.


Photo Credit: Mail.com
Now, while I don't have an updated picture to go with these fellas, I'm fairly sure one of their 2012 counterparts danced his way past my car and across the street Sunday afternoon. I have to say, it was a pretty good show.



Happy Lundi Gras, everyone, and Laissez Les Bon Temps Roullier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...