Friday, August 3, 2012

How Glossy Is Your Box?: July Glossybox Opening

*WARNING! This post is really picture-heavy. Grab a popcorn and coke and settle in for the long-haul. If you are interested in any of the products, click here.

Hey! My July Glossybox arrived, and we're still in the first week of August! That's progress! As you may recall, I wasn't thrilled with last month's Glossybox. It was extremely slow arriving, the products were somewhat lackluster, and there were billing/customer service issues out the wazoo. A lot of boxes were also ruined in shipping, due to a lack of safety seals and an abundance of loose caps. This month, happily, things went much more smoothly, and I'm very happy to show you the box, the products, and give you brief, first impression reviews of everything. I hope you enjoy!

Alrighty! Let's start with the outer box. It's black and pink again! Granted, it also says it's from Denmark, but let's not quibble.


Inside, we have this month's Glossy Mag. I may be in the minority, here, but I'm just not a fan. The information isn't very detailed, so it reads more like a long advertisement. If it dealt with each month's products, that would be awesome. As it is, it's just not necessary, and ends up getting tossed out with the outer box.  


The pink box. It's now holding my sunscreens and sunless tanners, and making the bottom of my medicine cabinet look much more organized than it has any right to be.


Ooooh...all wrapped up with a bow! 


Close up of the product card. 


Sealed up and ready to be opened.


The Prize Inside!


From left to right: Sebastian Shampoo for color-treated hair, Figs and Rouge Sweet Geranium lip and body balm, Pedix Feet heel balm, Sebastian Conditioner for color-treated hair, Blushed perfumed towelette, Senna double-ended lip bloss in Luminous.


Let's start with the shampoo/conditioner. These are, on the outset, generous travel sizes. Sadly, when you go to use the products, it takes so much shampoo to make a lather that you might not make it through a week-long trip without having to break down and use the hotel stuff. Then again, I have very long hair, so that probably contributed. That said, the conditioner is a foam, and the instructions actually say to use a "tennis-ball" sized amount, and that is a lot of product for one use.


Overall, I don't care for these. The conditioner had a nutty scent that I really didn't like, and my hair felt very dry after using both products. If you check the ingredients, they're both full of sulfates, as well. (Side note: I also found out today that my Pantene for color-treated hair is, too, so it's back to L'oreal EverPure I go.)  

Next up is the FULL-SIZED Figs and Rouge balm, and I love it. It's very similar to the Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve that I've been using for years, but has a much drier texture. The one thing I've always disliked about the Rosebud is the greasy feel. If this works as well, I may have to switch.  


I've only used the Pedix Feet Heel Rescue Balm once, but I really like it. I can't tell too much of a difference in the roughness of my callouses, but the creamy texture and minty cool feel and scent have won me over, so far. Plus, the size is large enough to supply several uses, while being small enough to travel well. This is going with me to Disney, no doubt about it.


BONUS POINTS for being sealed for my protection!


This is really cool. It's an individual perfumed towelette in the scent "Blushed", and it smells like cotton candy and magic. It's a very, very, very, extremely girly scent that reminds me of a cross between Sensual Amber from Bath and Body Words and Pink Sugar by Aquolina. Actually, if you can think way back to when Avon's Mark line had Hollywood Pink bath products, that's where my scent memory takes me. I want to bathe in it. 


Full disclosure: my packet was slightly open. However, the towelette inside is still sealed. I can smell it through the packaging, though. I'm considering getting a box of these to take on vacation, and also to have some to leave in the fridge. I think it would feel so good to come in on a hot day and rub on a cold fragrance towelette.

Lastly, we have the FULL-SIZED Senna double-ended lip gloss in Luminous. Now, I need another gloss like I need a hole in the head, but I lucked out and got a gorgeous color for me. The right side is a plummy dusty rose with golden shimmer, and the left side is pearlescent gold gloss. It is very sticky. So sticky, in fact, that I felt the need to bold that part. When you put this on, it's not going anywhere. I wore it today, actually, and applied the gloss around 10:00 am. It is now after 3:00, and I have eaten lunch, had a snack, drunk a coke (out of a bottle!), talked and talked and talked, and the gloss is still there. It's faded a bit, mind you, but it's still on my lips. If you need something very longwearing for a photo shoot, theatre, film, or television, I highly recommend this. It's also fairly comfortable, considering the stickiness. I did make sure to wear my hair in a ponytail, though, since it's windy. I also didn't kiss my husband, or give my puppy a peck on the top of the head.


Here are swatches of the gloss. The top swatch is the pink, and the bottom is the gold.


Here's just the gold, by itself:


Here is just the pink:


And here they are layered, with the gold over the pink. That's my favorite look of the three:


There you have it, folks--the unveiling of the July Glossybox. All in all, I'm very pleased with this month's offering, and with how the company seems to be pulling it to together now. I'm sticking with it for another month, to see how it goes. What do you think of Glossybox, so far? Let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Go glossybox!
    follow me PLEASE: www.chiccupcake1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...