Thursday, August 9, 2012

Buy or DIY? Halloween Spider Headband

Yes, I realize it's only August, and the beginning of the month, at that, but over the weekend I saw that Michael's already had some Halloween merchandise out, and there was a spider headband too cute to pass up!

Way cuter than a witch's hat, any day.
The headband isn't available on the website (actually, nothing is. You have to go to a brick and mortar store to make any purchases), but I wanted to share it with you, in the event you have a Michael's nearby, or are crafty and want to DIY your own.

It's like a fascinator, but on a headband. It's cocked to one side.
It doesn't appear to be a difficult project, if you choose to make one. The base is just your basic, black satin headband. It looks like some sequinned tulle was either stitched or glued on to the band, then topped with a black organza bow and a beaded spider. The spider might be a challenge to replicate, but that could just be your excuse to get really creative and come up with your own design! Maybe you could go crazy with curling ribbon? How about some grinning felt pumpkins? Or, you could use the basic design to come up with something not even remotely Halloween-y. I can see this becoming a glamorous, feather and crystal covered evening accessory, without having to spend too much money or exert too much effort.

Close-up of the construction. Sequinned tulle, ribbon, ornament. Easy peasy.
However, if you're like me and burn yourself everytime you think of plugging in a glue gun, the Michael's I visited carried these in the lime I got, red, and hot pink. They also had variations with skulls and pumpkins, and all were $9.99. I used a 40% off coupon to snag my headband for around $6.00. I think it'll look really sweet with my Little Mermaid t-shirt for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Happy Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...