Friday, July 22, 2011

Nothing a Good Mai Tai Probably Couldn't Fix

Photo Credit: Sephora
Okay. The picture round-up is currently on-going, so I'm going to have to put off any Disney tales till next week. I know; you're heartbroken, but I'm sure you'll find a way to get by.

I will say, that after three full days of sweating glowing in the hotter'n Hades beautiful Florida sunshine, I could literally feel the dirt invading my pores. I could see the clogs. That's bad. I did the best I could to combat the elements: drank lots of water, scrubbed my face at least twice a day, used tinted moisturizer instead of foundation, and tried to let my skin breathe as much as possible. It didn't matter. I am so broken out, people are mistaking me for a high schooler. Of course, I'm sure my being short isn't helping with their confusion.

As soon as I got home, I washed my face (again), and slathered on my Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. True to form, it cleared out a significant amount of clogged pores and blackheads. Still, my face was in a state of trauma. You don't think about the wringer your skin goes through while you're laughing it up in the Happiest Place On Earth (okay, I know that's Disneyland, but same deal). We've established there's the heat and sweat and dirt...fine. There's also greasy food (which, I know, dermatologists have said that the grease you put in your stomach doesn't affect your skin...try eating pizza without getting some on your face. I dare you), drastic changes in enviroment (a/c in the car, airplane atmosphere, getting on and off rides, fog machines, wind machines, etc.), sleep deprivation, too many cokes and not enough water, little germy kids with little germy hands that touch all the same things you touch...I could go on, but you see my point? Even after the masque my skin was still screaming.

Yesterday, I happened upon Ole Henriksen's Blue/Black Berry Enzyme Mask. According to Sephora:
This potently calming blend of lavender, papaya enzyme, blueberries, and blackberries gently polishes the skin, relieving facial stress and delivering smooth results.
Well, that sounded like it might help. There was a fantastic sale, so I snapped this puppy up for only six bucks.

So, last night, after work, I put on my jammies, washed my face and pulled my hair back, opened up the jar and spread the contents all over my face. Then, I sat down to relax and watch some television.

The Good: The scent. Wow. This mask has a very strong lavender fragrance, but not a fakey, chemically one. This is real lavender, and it is extremely calming. The gel mask is downright frosty, and there are also no parabens, sulfates, or artificial colors. In fact, there's no color at all. It's clear, which also keeps you from having that whole Wicked Witch of the West thing going on.

The Bad: I had a hard time washing the mask off, and really, I couldn't tell if it did anything to my skin. I followed up with a moisturizer, partially because you should always follow a mask with a good moisturizer, and partially because my skin felt really dry. That's not a good sign when it's supposed to be a hydrating mask.

The Ugly: Normally, this is priced at $32. That's insane.

I'm going to give this another go. The directions said it could be used 2-3 times weekly, so it may just be very gentle. If nothing else, twenty minutes of inhaling lavender might relax me enough to not care about my skin anymore. I say, for six bucks, it's worth a second look. For $32, I suggest you keep your money and look elsewhere.

Final Verdict: It'll calm your nerves, but not necessarily your face. 4 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. the "heat dome" in DC + the lack of central air at casa mags-and-the-man = 15-year-old-level breakouts. ugh. i will DEFINITELY try the mint julep masque. that sounds really freaking pleasant.

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...