Tuesday, May 15, 2012

NYX Crimson Amulet/Dark Shadows Part II: In-Depth Review and Look

Sit back, relax, maybe go get a snack, 'cause this is a long one, folks! A few weeks ago, Ulta gave away little $5 off coupons that would be good this week. I used mine yesterday to purchase the NYX Crimson Amulet Palette, inspired by the movie Dark Shadows. Let me tell you, I am so excited I could spit. Here is an in-depth look at the palette, along with my review and a look (told you this would be long). Spoiler Alert: I like the palette. A lot. You should run and get one. Now. Like, yesterday. Go.

Outer packaging (Not terribly important, but here it is)

Closed palette. Looks kind of like a fancy DVD case with a snap button closure. It's heavy cardboard, and can definitely stand up to travel and some wear and tear.

Inside, you have 24 shadows and a large mirror. I've not tried using the mirror, and am not entirely sure how to best hold the palette to do so, but it sure beats nothing.

Here's a close up of the shadows. There's a nice variety of satin, shimmer, glitter, and matte finishes. The top twelve are colors, and the bottom are neutrals. Just go ahead and toss the applicators.

Flipping over the mirror, here's the other side. The inspiration looks aren't super helpful. I'd rather have had another mirror, or even just a cool graphic. Here you see an HD shadow primer, black eyeliner, five blushes (some matte, some shimmer), a highlighter, and four glosses.

Close-up of the products.
Top twelve shadows.
  
Top Row


Middle Row


Bottom Row


Bottom twelve shadows.

Top Row

Middle Row

Bottom Row

Reminder of blush/gloss side.


Highlighter and Blushes

Glosses

Primer and Liner
I love this palette. Love, love, love it. It's one of--no, it's the most complete palette I've ever seen. Honestly, all you need is a little foundation, powder, and mascara and you're good to go. You could fancy it up with bronzer and a brow kit, but they're not necessary. On top of that, everything's good. There's not a clunker product in the bunch. The shadows are all creamy and well-pigmented. Sure, the mattes are a little dry at first, but once you get through the top layer, they're lovely (mattes can be like that sometimes). The blushes are varied and gorgeous, and I'm dying to figure out how to wear that unbelievable red. The primer has held my glittery eyeshadow in place with no fallout, and the liner is a surprisingly easy to work with jet black. I say surprisingly easy because I suck at liquid liner. Absolutely suck at it. I blink, my hand shakes...it's not pretty. I still can't get a straight line, but I was able to get it straighter than usual, then finished cleaning it up with a little black shadow. The glosses are a little stiff at first, but once you get in there, they're opaque and have plenty of color payoff. The one thing that other reviewers have complained the most about is the highlighter, and I have to say, I don't get that. I mean, it's not the most remarkable highlighter I've ever used, but it's more than serviceable. It actually reminds me a lot of one that came in a Sephora palette I took on the road with me for Beauty & the Beast, only I like this one better. Go figure.

I needed another palette like a hole in the head. I have an entire bathroom drawer full of them, and those are only the ones I use regularly. However, I do, on occasion, find myself doing someone else's makeup. I'm not a professional makeup artist, and don't pretend to be, but sometimes my Mom will have something fancy to go to and wants a little help. Maybe a friend's getting married and needs someone to help a younger bridesmaid with her makeup. Those sorts of things come up from time to time, and this is a terrific almost-all-in-one palette to grab.*

So, here's the look I came up with. I did this running out the door this morning, so please bear that in mind. You can do cool stuff very quickly with this palette because it's all there. You don't even have to think. I love that. I'm not very good at thinking in the mornings.

Poorly photographed look. I really need to get someone else to take these pictures. A cameraphone aimed by looking in the mirror really isn't cutting it. I'll list all the products used below.

Primer: Included HD Eyeshadow Primer. Lid/All Over Color: Champagne found on top row, second over. Blending Color: Lavender on second row, first shade. Crease and Lower Lash Line: Royal Blue Glitter on second row, last shade. Liner: Included black liner, cleaned up with Black found on top row, first shade. Blush is the largest blush in the palette, with Highlighter dusted over the tops of cheekbones.

I just can't take a picture when my brows are cleaned up, can I?
Other Products Used:
Too Faced Beauty Balm in Vanilla Glow
E.L.F. Brow Kit in Medium
Benefit Boi-ing Concealer in Light
Urban Decay Razor Sharp HD Powder
Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush Mascara (I really don't care for this. See the flakes?)
Benefit Hoola Bronzer
  
Seriously, that's it. That's a heckuva lot easier to toss into a travel bag than my usual stash. I hope this has been helpful, and I can't recommend this enough.

Final Verdict: 10 out of 10. It's just plain awesomesauce, and a steal at under $25.

*Obviously, if you're doing someone else's makeup, you'll need to use a different eyeliner (one that's never been used, or one belonging to the person who's makeup you're doing). You'll also want to make sure that you've never double-dipped into the lipgloss. Safety first, guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...