Monday, December 10, 2012

Holiday Hangover Help

***Blogger doesn't feel like linking today. I'll try to get them up soon. Thanks!

I feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck. Then, it backed up and ran over me again, just for good measure. Then, the driver got out and tap danced on my back. Then, he beat me with a stick and called me names.

We filmed over the weekend. For two days--8am to 6 or 7pm (I lost track)--I stood, ran, organized, made up, coiffed, touched-up, and occasionally acted. It was fun, and a lot was accomplished (and I'd like to thank the good Lord above for our cast and crew, who were amazing and beyond professional, and made this crazy weekend go so much more smoothly than it had any right to), and now, I'm...well, hungover.

Yup. Flat out hung. over. Read: bleary-eyed, aching, puffy, nauseous, dehydrated, with too much residual hairspray and makeup. If you didn't know any better, you'd think I'd gone on a bender at the company Christmas party. Truth be told, I did drink last night. I had a Mike's Hard Margarita, with an alcohol content only slightly higher than that of Kool-Aid. Had I known I'd feel this bad today, I'd have had two.

Anyway, icky or not, I had to come to work today, and I didn't want to walk in practically screaming, "I HAVE A HANGOVER!!!!!" so I used a few tricks to make me, at least, appear bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. If any of  you are planning to imbibe at any upcoming holiday parties, these might be useful for you, too.*

First, I did take ten seconds to wipe off most of my makeup with a cleansing towelette, and I put on a little eye cream and a super-hydrating lip balm. Even dead-tired, that's not too hard to do. In the morning, I slathered on a deep-cleaning, exfoliating mask, then headed to the kitchen for coffee with a water and ibuprofen chaser. The mask will help your skin glow, while the caffeine, hydration, and anti-imflammatory will help you feel more like a human being.

I hopped in the shower to wash off the mask, then cleaned the rest of me with a soothing scrub. The exfoliating will help get your blood pumping and wake you up. Then, I smoothed on a moisturizing body lotion.

Now, I had time to wash my hair and apply a leave-in conditioner and a little gel before blowing dry. If you overslept or just don't have time for that, spritz in some Bumble & Bumble Prep. This is great just to keep on hand. Prep reactivates the products in your hair and leaves a fresh scent. In either case, throw your hair into a messy bun or twist into a clip while you put on your makeup. When you pull it down, you'll have soft waves that make your hair look "done", making you look more polished. Run a little smoothing serum through it, if needed.

For makeup, prep skin with an eye cream and lip balm, then start with a tinted moisturizer. If you're dehydrated, foundation can make any flakes or fine lines more noticeable. A good tinted moisturizer will give you some coverage and a healthy dewy finish. If you have one that's in your "Summer shade", use it and blend down your neck. The extra color will give dull skin a little oomph. Apply a color-correcting eye primer and a shadow in a flesh tone, with a crease color a few shades darker. Keep it all matte, and all natural. Shimmer will only settle into lines and make you look older. You don't want to overdo the eyes. Have you ever seen someone who's been crying while wearing a smoky eye? It's not pretty. You don't want puffy eyes and a ton of dark shadow. You'll just look more tired. Keep eyeliner light and mascara on the top lashes only, to make the eyes appear more lifted, and avoid getting mascara in any fine lines. If you must have shimmer, apply a fine, soft gold or soft pink glitter (it doesn't settle as badly as shimmer) to your inner corner and brow bone. The highlights will, again, make you appear more awake and more lifted. Try a concealer that's a shade lighter than your tinted moisturizer. It will help highlight the undereye area for a brighter appearance. Pop a pink blush on the apples of cheeks, and keep lips looking plump and pretty with a red-toned gloss. Lipstick can settle into dehydrated lips.

Lastly, pour a little Gatorade into a travel mug and psyche yourself up. It's going to be a great day!

*Please drink responsibly and designate a driver. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...