Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Randomness: Naked Basics Eye Look and Jewelmint Mystery Box

Good Lord, it has been a day! I had planned to do a December faves, but that'll have to wait. Instead, I give you TOTAL RANDOMNESS!! I know you're excited...

Anyhoo, to further test out the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette, and how well it coordinates with the larger neutral palettes, I put together this quickie eye look. It works beautifully with a deep berry lip (like Revlon Lip Butter in Red Velvet). Leave it as is to wear to work or shopping; toss a little sparkle on top, and you've got the perfect holiday party look.

Lid: Venus (Naked Basics)
Crease: Naked (Naked 1)
Blending: W.O.S. (NB)
Lower Liner: Naked (N1)
Brow and Inner Corner: Virgin (N1)
Upper Liner: Zero 24/7 Glide-On Pencil
Mascara: Buxom Lash

I also received my Jewelmint Mystery Box!!! About a week and a half ago!!! I'm posting this not to brag or show off, but because the Mystery Box is still available. If you were thinking of purchasing, here is an example of a typical box. Each box is different and pieces are chosen at random, but it'll give you an idea.
From Top: Evening Star Bracelet, Crystal Gazer Necklace (not available on site/discontinued), Lover's Locket Silver, and Calypso Island Earrings (not available on site/discontinued). You might be able to find the discontinued pieces on Ebay, but I can't guarantee that.
I was beyond thrilled, because I'd already been eyeing the Evening Star Bracelet. It, alone, was worth the $29.99 price tag, but there was no promise of that piece. The Mystery Box is a gamble, and one that you won't necessarily win if you're not completely enamored with the majority of the Jewelmint product line--past and present. Sure, the bracelet was a favorite, and the locket has already made it into regular rotation in my daily wardrobe (I'm wearing it today, actually). The other two pieces...well, they've been more challenging.

I did manage to wear the earrings. I paired them with a black sweater over a gold tank, and pinned my hair in a messy bun. The earrings were the main focus of the look, and I received a few compliments on them. They're decent quality, not too heavy, and really made my outfit look "styled", rather than "thrown on". The Crystal Gazer necklace is still in the box, but I think will work well with a low-cut black wrap dress and my leopard flats with pink crystals (much less tacky than they sound, I promise!).

All of the pieces are well-made. The clasp on the bracelet is very secure, which is extremely important given the weight of the piece. It's not light. The locket does open and close, with both a magnetic and button closure. The minimum amount of four pieces came packed with three items in a signature Jewelmint box, and the bracelet in a velvet Jewelmint pouch.

Do I recommend the Mystery Box? Absolutely, as long as you are prepared to possibly end up with pieces you HATE. I have gotten a dud or two in the past, but there are normally enough pieces that I genuinely love, that it all comes out in the wash. I don't get every Mystery Box that comes along, but the ones that I have received have given me items that I never would have purchased on my own, but offer new opportunities to be creative, and maybe even breathe new life into some old wardrobe pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...