Monday, March 11, 2013

Bohemian Rhapsody: Flower Beauty Haul and Review UPDATED!


For a week or so, now, I've been hearing about Drew Barrymore's new line of Walmart-exclusive, cruelty-free cosmetics, Flower Beauty. The website claims that it's supposed to be as good as high-end, but at a drugstore price. I thought that seemed a little too good to be true, but decided to give it a shot. I needed a travel-friendly foundation, and saw a stick formula that looked promising, so Thomas and I made the trek to the nearest Walmart that carried the line...and were sorely disappointed. Not only did they not have the full line (just a measly endcap), but what was carried was almost entirely out of stock, save for a few opened products that had been tossed back on the shelves. At this point, Thomas proved just how much he loved me, and suggested we go all the way out to the other Walmart--out in the boonies, technically in the next town--to see if we fared better. Luckily, that Walmart had the entire line (in a beautiful display that I wish I'd taken a picture of), and I was able to get not only my foundation, but a few other items that caught my eye. The prices are incredible, and I figured that I needed to grab more than one thing to justify the trip. Yeah...that's it...justify the trip...


I picked up the Skincognito Stick Foundation in SF3, which is a dead-on match to my MAC NW15 skin. This is a freaking miracle, because there is absolutely no way to colormatch from the packaging or the little swatch photo on the display.

I'm a fan of the concept, and I love the dewy, but not greasy, finish that it leaves on my skin. The foundation doesn't feel heavy, and it doesn't fall into my pores. I've tried this with and without a primer, and have been happy with both results. However...


...it doesn't cover a darn thing. This is definitely a light coverage foundation. It also has a tendency to go on a little patchy. It also has a penchant for wearing off in patches, as well, but only after several hours. I don't recommend this for oily skin. That said, if you are looking for light coverage (like I was, thankfully), and have dry to normal skin, this might be an option for you. There's also no SPF, so it's fine for photography. 


Here's a shot once I'd added some concealer (Maybelline Age Rewind) and powdered down (Rimmel Stay Matte). I also threw on some eye shadow, but that's irrelevant. Again, I really like the texture and slightly luminous quality this gives. The packaging makes it perfect for travel, as well. All in all, I'm giving it a 5 out of 10. I'm happy with it because it looks nice on and I needed something light for an upcoming trip. This fit the bill. There are better choices for daily foundations, though.

***UPDATE! Application is the key to this working well. I originally used a brush, and that was a mistake. It led to patchiness and uneven coverage. This foundation really needs to be applied with clean and sanitized hands. That way, your body heat helps melt the product into your skin, and also allows for a much more even application. Since switching to this method, the foundation has given me none of the above problems, and has become an everyday favorite of mine. I do suggest using it over a primer, though.


I don't know why I even bother buying blush anymore. I always gravitate to the same darn color! I now have NARS Orgasm, NARS Super Orgasm, a NYX peachy-pink with no name, Benefit Coralista (more peach, but still), Wet 'N' Wild Pearlescent Pink, and now, the Ready, Set, Glow Blush/Bronze Duo from Flower Beauty in Beachy Keen. (I don't have a big blush collection, either. What I listed is about 90% of it. I need a peachy-pink blush intervention!) I really love this blush, though. It gives a soft, ethereal glow, and looks totally natural.


The bronzer is a winner, too. It's very pigmented, so you need a light hand, but it's not too orange and not too dark. It is shimmery, but the shimmer doesn't really show on the skin, so you can use it as contour or as an all-over bronzer. Here, I'm only using it for contour, and the blush is applied to the apples and swept toward the hairline.

The packaging is precious, and I love the rose gold accent. I honestly have no major complaints with this product, and am giving it a 9 out of 10.


This Shine On Lip Gloss is the shining star of the products I've tried. I chose Pretty In Petunia, which is showing up red in this picture, but is really a gorgeous peachy-coral cream with micro-shimmer. Oh, Pretty In Petunia, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...


1. The packaging. Oh, the packaging! It looks high-end. I adore carrying this around in my purse. It's just so pretty!
2. The color. Oh, I wish these pictures did this color justice! It's juicy and shiny and opaque and pigmented and just plain delicious-looking! It brightens up my face for Spring, but doesn't look clownishly, crazy bright. It's very natural and totally gorgeous.
3. The scent. The Scent. That's probably my favorite thing about this gloss. It's not sickly sweet or candy-like. It's actually floral, but not in a grandma way. It smells exactly like fresh cut flowers. You put this on, and are transported to a lovely English garden on a breezy Summer day. It's glorious, and just adds to the high-end traits of this product.

Additional Makeup: Urban Decay Half-Baked, Smog, and W.O.S. eye shadows, Urban Decay Rehab 24/7 Glide-On Shadow Pencil, Urban Decay Whiskey 24/7 Glide-On Pencil, Buxom Lash Mascara, Benefit Watt's Up Highlighter, Anastasia Brow Wiz in Brunette

4. The feel. It's like buttah. This is super-moisturizing (I swear, it's so super, it needs a cape), comfortable, and non-sticky.
5. The wear time. For a non-sticky lippie, it sure doesn't go anywhere! Hours of talking, singing, eating, drinking, and it's still there!

I'm probably going to shock a lot of folks by saying this, but this gloss looks wears, and just all out performs like a MAC Lipglass. It's just got the added bonus of being non-sticky and a fraction of the price. 10 out of 10. Heck, I'll give it an 11. I can't stop wearing it, and I want to buy more shades.


The last item I picked up was this Nail'd It cream nail polish in What's The Dafodilly-O. Again, this product did remind me of a high-end counterpart. In fact, I would wager to say that this formula is spot-on the same formula as Illamasqua (at least, the one Illamasqua polish I own, Purity). The application is identical, and the finish is the same shiny, slightly rubberized finish. The problem is: I really hate the application of the Illamasqua, and my hatred of Flower's is also identical. It's streaky and patchy, and takes three and a half (yes, a half) coats to cover the nail. That said, once it's on and even, the color is incredible, and it wears really well. I've had minimal, easily covered chipping after two days, which is better than normal for me.


So, yeah, it's identical to Illamasqua. The difference is: I'm not buying another Illamasqua. For fourteen dollars I expect better application. I will buy another Flower, though, because the finished product is amazing, and the less-than-five-dollar pricetag is a lot more wallet-friendly. 6 out of 10.

To sum up: If you're in the market for some makeup, and want high-quality on a budget, this is definitely a brand to try. I'm really excited to see what Drew comes up with next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...