Friday, March 22, 2013

It's Two, Two, Two Posts In One!

Today is nasty, rainy, humid, and all around ugly. On top of that, it's Casual Friday. Of course, my work environment is pretty relaxed to begin with, so you can read that to mean I traded in my "nice" jeans and "respectable" top for comfy old jeans and a t-shirt. This one, specifically. It made me giggle.

Basically, it's one of those days when I expect the What Not To Wear folks to knock on my door at any moment.

Seeing how I wasn't really trying with my look today, and had a million (not sure that's an exaggeration) errands to run in the icky weather, I thought today would be the perfect day to try out a sample that caught my eye, as well as a neat DIY hair product. Both are made for quick, easy, natural looks, and that is definitely the name of the game today.

The Magic Bag O' Samples

Somehow--and I honestly can't remember how--I ended up with a sample of L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur. Supposedly, it's a "finishing cream" that you put on after your moisturizer, and can either wear alone or under makeup to blur wrinkles, lines, pores, and other minor imperfections. I have minor imperfections, so why not? I popped open the foil packet and applied the opaque ecru cream to my face.

It's a dupe for the Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm. Flat out. There's a higher SPF and it costs about $14 less, but those are the only differences I found. Unfortunately (and if you click the link you read my review of the UD), it just doesn't do it for me. I can't quite figure out a purpose for it. There's zero coverage, so it doesn't even out your skin, and you still need, at least, a concealer. You could use it as a primer...or you could just use a primer. As I said in the UD review, there are better and cheaper out there. If you have perfectly even skin and just want a little protection or some skincare benefits...you could use an anti-aging moisturizer with sunscreen and skip this extra step. I just really can not find a point to this. But, if you were planning to buy the UD BB cream, L'Oreal just saved you fourteen bucks. There you go.

Frugal Friday

Many of you are probably familiar with beauty blogger and youtube guru PinkSoFoxy. If you're not, you should be, because she's amazing. Her approach to beauty blogging is unique in that she takes a "less is more" approach. Instead of constantly buying new stuff, she "shops her stash" and pulls from items she already owns, rediscovering old favorites along the way. Her videos also show fantastic tips for decluttering and simplifying your space, and in the process, your life. Seriously, I encourage you all to go check out her sites.

Anyhoo, she recently uploaded a video and blog post on how to DIY a sea salt spray for beachy waves. I've been using Bumble & Bumble Sea Spray, but I'm about to run out and thought that this might be fun to try. I had all of the ingredients, anyway, and if it worked, I could save the $25 I'd have spent on a replacement bottle. So, this morning, I whipped up a batch while I waited on my coffee to brew. By the way, I have a Keurig, so that's about three minutes.

Bottom line: this stuff rocks.

After my shower, I towel dried my hair and gave it a rough blow-dry until it was just damp. Then, I sprayed my concoction all over, scrunched, and let it finish air drying. The results are amazing. I have messy, beachy waves that aren't at all crunchy or sticky. My main complaint with the Bumble & Bumble was that it always looked great at first, but as soon as I ran a brush through it, my hair became a frizzy, dry, hot mess. My hair is so soft with this that I can run my fingers through it, brush it, whatever. It still looks pretty and wavy. If you have three minutes, I highly recommend giving this a shot!

The ingredients you'll need are all linked here. I used Herbal Essences Body Envy gel, which is discontinued, turns out. It's a light hold, volumizing gel, so anything like it should work similarly. I omitted the essential oil, because A) I didn't have any, and B) my hairspray is scented, and I thought that might be too much going on at once. For the shimmer, I used (no kidding) a little bit of an old E.L.F. mineral eyeshadow. Worked like a charm. Thank you, PinkSoFoxy, for this awesome DIY project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...