Friday, March 8, 2013

Brow-Zinga! The Benefit Brow Bar at Ulta

This morning, I had the opportunity (okay, so it was more like obligation--my brow's looked like Wolverine's) to stop by the Benefit Brow Bar at my local Ulta, and thought I would share my experience, in case any of you were curious to try it yourself. I've noticed a severe lack of reviews on this service, honestly, and figured maybe I could help remedy that. If you've been, please leave a comment below with your thoughts. Please share with the rest of the class.

When I first arrived, I wasn't really sure what to do or where to go. I knew where the brow bar was located, but that was about it. I didn't have an appointment either, since the website had not mentioned anything about how to go about making one. For the record: I recommend making an appointment by calling the store. Walk-ins are totally cool, though.

Once inside, I learned that the nice lady at Benefit was there and available, so I hopped in the very comfy chair and let Candace get to work. I didn't specify a service, as only two were offered (wax or tweeze) and the price difference was negligible. I just told her to do what she needed to do, and that I didn't expect miracles. She laughed, and started the unenviable task of taming my unruly caterpillars.

She started by measuring the beginning, ending, and arch points of my brows, in relation to the shape of my face and eyes, and marked where they should be. She took great care in this, and did not rush, but didn't waste any time, either. Then, she applied a very creamy wax to my brows to shape them. This wax (and I can't believe I'm saying this) did not hurt. At all. I wasn't even mildly uncomfortable. Kid you not.

Once the brows were roughly shaped out, she finished the detailing with a pair of tweezers, trimmed the longer hairs with some scissors (I was a mess, y'all), applied a soothing lotion, and then waxed my brows into a perfect arch. They look gorgeous. I'm also under strict orders not to touch them between visits, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I'm an idiot with tweezers.

I have to say, what impressed me most throughout the experience was how professionally it was handled. Candace's certification was on display, and through conversation I learned a little about her background that I won't go into, but was extensive and impressive (I'm using that word a lot today). Not once did she try to sell me anything. Let me just repeat that for emphasis: not once did she try to sell me anything. No upsales, so concealers, no skin care--nothing. The service cost $20, and I left a tip, but nothing else was ever tacked on. When I left, I did have some redness, but it was easily covered by a little concealer that I keep in my purse.

This is definitely something that I will do again. I'm thrilled that I was finally brave enough to try it. Now, do I try the Dermalogical Facials next? Decisions, decisions...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the review. I have always wondered what the Benefit lady was doing. Never knew she was beautifying eyebrows and lives one pluck at a time! I may try it based on your review.

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...