Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ginger, Inside and Out

So, as if I don't spend enough time on Facebook (darn you, Vegas Nights!) or enough money online shopping, now they have to go and combine the two!!  I'm not sure if this is a dark day or the best thing since sliced bread.  I'll have to wait to see what my bank account thinks of this situation.

Facebook is teaming up with vendors, including big names, such as Delta and J.C. Penney's, to turn their pages into storefronts.  Reportedly, the pages would be interactive (as Facebook pages already are), and be equipped to accept credit cards and PayPal.  No word, yet, as to when this would take effect, but I can see this being huge.  I'm a little excited about it, personally.

Photo Credit:  Sephora.com
Speaking of shopping (how's that for a segue?), here's a product review!  Today, I thought we'd discuss Philosophy The Gingerbread Man Foaming Bubble Bath and Shower Gel.  According to Sephora it's...:


...a luxurious, foaming bubble bath and shower gel that exudes the cozy scent of ginger spice.  Perfect for the holidays, this gel cleans, soothes, and draws you in with a refreshing ginger spice scent and an ultrarich, moisturizing lather that conditions skin, leaving it feeling super soft.
According to me:

Really, up until I used this, I've never been super excited over bath gel.  I've always tried to find scents that would be pleasant (yes, I'm a sucker for Bath and Body Works and the like), but mainly, I've had a utilitarian approach to bath gel.  Will it get me clean?  Will the smell not make me ill?  Will it not dry out my skin?  Okay, sign me up.  If it sparkles, even better.

This doesn't sparkle, but I'll forgive that.

The Gingerbread Man doesn't smell like gingerbread.  Don't be fooled by the name.  What it does smell like, though, is lemon and ginger.  It's gorgeous, Asian-inspired, and makes me long for a nice green tea to go along with it.  It somehow manages the heretofor unheard of task of being simultaneously invigorating and calming.  Basically, it's a very Zen bath gel.

And yes, it gets you clean.  Squeaky clean, actually, but without any dryness, which is astounding for this time of year.  I use it on a bath pouf, and it lathers beautifully. 

I received a two-ounce sample from Sephora, and have, in the course of two weeks, gone through half of it.  I have all but completely ignored the other scents that came in the set (one of those 500-point Beauty Insider rewards), and had to run out and buy a 16oz. bottle today before the holiday is over and this is gone for another year.  If you're looking for a good bath gel (and I really think this would be nice year round), or need a last minute gift, this is a great buy.  Heck, it even comes in a cute gift box.  Now, if only we could make this stuff sparkle.  $16, Sephora.     

And, while we're on the subject of ginger cookies (see what I did there?), how 'bout a little recipe?  This is a doctored up version of an original recipe from allrecipes.com.  I really wanted something festive to take over to Mom's for Christmas morning.  Now, I'm not sure they'll make it.  I keep eating them.  To quote a friend, "I'm evil, and must be laminated."

I call these Cranberry Orange Walnut Cookies.  Please, feel free to call them something more creative. 

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, softened (seriously--as smushy as possible)
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
Juice of 1/2 a large orange
2.25 ounces chopped walnuts
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. powdered nutmeg

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).


2.In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and orange juice. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets.

3.Bake 12-16 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

Feel free to adjust walnuts, cranberries, and spices to taste.  I just sort of tossed in what looked right (measuring spoons, shmeasuring spoons).  The orange taste is very light, but noticeable, and the texture is rich and velvety.  Best of all, they make the house smell amazing and they taste like Christmas.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I have to make your Cranberry Orange Walnut Cookies and see if they can work with my Ice Cream Cake

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...