Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Of Mascara and Men

I hate zits.  I'm thirty freaking years old.  When are they going to go away?  It's ridiculous to have to use anti-aging creams and Clearasil.  What's even better is the fact that my skin has been *crystal* clear for weeks, and picks this week--when I have a concert and an autograph signing ('cause that happens soooo often, right?)--to project two extremely painful planets out of my chin.  Thanks, skin.  Thanks a lot.

Of course, as we girls all know, that's why the good Lord invented concealer.  As long as the nice people at Benefit keep making Erase Paste, I'll be good to go.  I'll brush a little HD powder over it, and those photographers can snap away!

Makeup and skincare are necessary evils in the entertainment industry.  I might go to Walgreen's sans mascara, but I'd never dream of going in front of a camera without exfoliating, plucking, and generally doll-ing up.  It's part of the job.  Newscasters wear makeup for broadcasts.  Even politicians have worn makeup for televised debates.  So, why is it that this morning I wake up to find the tabloids all a twitter because Tom Cruise is doing facials and wearing foundation and mascara? 

Granted, were I Katie, I'd be a little miffed that my husband was using my ridiculously overpriced creams and cleansers, but I'd have no problem with him using his own.  Heck, I'd probably help him pick out something right for his skin type.  The fact that a person happens to be male doesn't negate his need to wash his face and use proper sun protection.  Also, given his age and profession, he should be using some form of anti-aging moisturizer to ward off fine lines and aid in the application of theatrical makeup.  I'd consider that all just part of maintenance--like going to the gym, voice lessons, or working with an acting coach.

True, it's not commonplace for men to wear makeup on a daily basis, but this is a high profile individual who tends to be photographed wherever he goes.  He's also only wearing foundation and mascara--not lipstick, blush, and eyeshadow.  Still, that might be going a bit overboard, but what's wrong with a little concealer, if it's needed?  As I mentioned earlier, I have two humongous red blobs on my face.  I fully intend to keep them covered up because they're A) ugly, B) embarrassing, C) probably not the way the producers of my film would like the public to perceive their leading lady.  Why is it expected for me to try to look pretty for the cameras, but newsworthy when a man does the same thing?

I'd love to hear what you guys think about this.  Is this just Tom Cruise being zany, or an actor trying to do the behind the scenes part of his job?  Feel free to weigh in in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. two words: double. standard. men are expected to be rugged and macho. when they deviate from that, it's "newsworthy." i personally don't care what people do, but then, sanity and good sense don't really fit in with modern media, do they?

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...