Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Surprise, Surprise!

I guess today's them is "Surprise!"  For starters, the deli downstairs had pumpkin bread available...Surprise! 

Okay, so maybe it's just sad that I'm so excited over pumpkin bread, but it's the little things, folks.  It's the little things.

The Golden Globe nominations were announced this morning, and with them came a few more surprises.  There were zero nominations for the Coen brother's True Grit, and zero acting noms for Inception (my favorite movie of the year, so far).  However, The Tourist, Burlesque, and Alice In Wonderland (the most boring, disappointing piece of drivvel I've had the misfortune of sitting through in years) were all awarded multiple nominations?  I am perplexed. 

I will say, it was nice to see Mila Kunis and Emma Stone listed among the nominees.  Mila Kunis is highly undervalued, in my opinion.  She's a pretty face who isn't afraid to be ugly.  She excels at comedy, and even in cameos and bit parts can be the highlight of a film.  Her dramatic skills are nothing to sneeze at (apparently, since her nom is for the decidedly non-comedic Black Swan), and she's a very talented voice-artist--not an easy job, if I do say so myself.  I was thrilled to see her receive this kind of recognition.

Miss Stone is an up-and-comer that I've been watching for some time.  Some of her films have been a little less than stellar (House Bunny, anyone?), but her performances in Superbad and Zombieland were real, touching, and memorable.  It'll be interesting to see where her career goes from here, and having a major award nomination on her resume certainly can't hurt her chances.

For a full list of nominees, click here.  Any big shockers for you?  Let me know about them in the comments.

So, the biggest surprise of the day came from none other than Lady Gaga.  That, in and of itself, should come as no surprise, ironically.  Anyhoo, this is purely gossip (which I tend to shy away from, but this was just too weird), but an insider told The Enquirer (I know, that bastion of truth...) that,
"Lady Gaga is planning a radical career shift after she wraps up her Monster Ball tour next spring. She wants to use her famous fashion sense and avant-garde art obsession to launch an academic career."

The queen of the Monsters has apparently applied for an artist-in-residence position at the New York Parson's School of Design.
"She thinks teaching a college course would be a great way to decompress from the rock ‘n' roll lifestyle, boost her image and make people take her seriously. She wants to be more than just a flamboyant pop star."
All I can think is, if she thinks that teaching college is relaxing, she's in for a rude awakening.  Not only did she drop out at 19, she apparently didn't pay attention while she was there.  I know college professors--they're some of the most stressed out, run-down, overworked and underappreciated folks out there.  It's not exactly the same as spending a weekend at a spa.  Additionally, if she thinks that for one moment she would be hired for anything other than her name and reputation as a fashion icon and "flamboyant pop star", she's crazier than I thought.  Generally speaking, they don't let you teach in a college until you've, at least, graduated from one.  The exceptions to that rule are the people who have earned enough "life experience" credits to become masters in their field.  Now, I'm not saying she wouldn't qualify that way.  I'm only saying that it's the only way she would qualify--by cashing in on being a "flamboyant pop star". 

In any case, if I had to lay money on it, I'd bet this is all just some publicity stunt. 

So, would you take a class from Lady Gaga?  Again, let me know in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. i'll tell you - mila kunis was amazing in black swan. it was a small role that could've been very easily stereotyped or done too broadly, but she freaking nailed it. the movie as a whole was great, if gory as hell and very disturbing.

    and as for lady gaga? if she's teaching "how to get rich and famous for no good reason at all," and she can guarantee a modicum of success? i am SO there.

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...