Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Julia and Anne Were Busy, I Guess...

So, apparently, there's this guy in the UK who asked his long-time girlfriend to marry him, and she agreed.  Now, from what I hear, this is a somewhat well-known young man, so there's been a little bit of fuss over the upcoming wedding.  So much fuss, in fact, that it's made its way all the way across the pond to the U. S. of A.  The groom is cute.  He might want to invest in some Rogaine, but he's got a nice smile.  For some reason, though, no one seems too interested in him.  It's the bride that everyone's all agog over.  I guess that's normal.  Right?  She is the bride, afterall.

Okay, I kid!  I just know that most of you are probably sick to death of hearing about Prince William and Princess-to-be Kate, or Katherine, or whatever they're calling her this week.  Truth is, while I'm not all a twitter wondering who will design her dress, I am intrigued by the couple.

See, Will's only two years younger than I am.  He's only one year older than I was when I got married.  I don't know the kid, but feel a generational connection to him.  Also, when I was little, I played with Princess Diana paper dolls.  I watched the fairy tale crumble, and remember well the night she passed away.  I really don't want to have to sit and watch history repeat itself.

I will say that I am very impressed by these two.  They're not going the route that Mum and Dad went.  For starters, they met at college (like normal people), and dated for close to a decade.   They weren't set up as a sort of arranged marriage, like his parents.  They're both 28, not a naive 19, like Diana.  He's been through military training, and she's worked in her parents' shop, so while the view may have been sheltered, they have both seen a smidge of the 'real world'.  In other words, they've seen what not to do, and are going in the complete and opposite direction. 

What I like most of all is the fact that this young lady--this soon to be Princess and wife of the man who will be King--dresses off the rack and does her own makeup.  Granted, one of her off-the-rack dresses is the equivalent of, like, twenty of mine, but it wasn't gifted by a designer.  It wasn't handed to her as she was told to put it on.  She went in a store, picked it out and paid for it.  Herself.  Like a grown-up woman with a brain and free will.  Those gorgeous engagement pictures that went out?  She did the makeup herself.  Yes, she had help with her hair, but she dressed herself and put herself together.  (Makeup artist readers--don't kill me!  I'd prefer to have you guys do my makeup any day of the week!  I'm just making the point that she had the option, but chose this as an opportunity to assert her independence, and for that, I applaud her.)  This is not a girl who's going to sit quietly and do as she's told, and I admire that independent spirit. 

I think these two might actually have a chance.

And now it's time for everyone's favorite part of the blog (actually, I have no idea if any of you even read this far, but whatever):  The Product Review!  Today's review:  Schick Quattro for Women razor!  According to the website:
Stay stylishly smooth with our signature metal razor. Schick® Quattro for Women® is designed with 4 blades and 2 conditioning strips to deliver an exceptional shaving experience so you can skip a day or two. Feel confident, look beautiful and be fabulous.
According to me:  I've actually used this brand of razor for over a year, so I guess you could say it's been thoroughly tested.  Instead of just giving you a "yay" or "nay" review, I thought I'd break things down into categories.

1) Performance:  This razor shaves beautifully.  Very few nicks or cuts, very little razor burn, and a nice, smooth, close shave.  10.

2) Appearance:  It looks high-tech, with it's sleek silver design and hot pink rubber grips.  Heavyweight, but hugs every curve.  Blade cover does tend to accumulate muck and mildew.  9.

3) Durability:  Here's the rub.  The first razor I owned lasted a year.  Since purchasing a new one, however, I'm about to have to replace it for the second time.  The first replacement was after only a week.  The current razor lasted less than a month.  The entire mechanism is held together with a little pink button that, unfortunately, loves to pop out.  If that button falls out, the handle, blade, and everything else comes apart.  Mine like to jump directly down the shower drain, never to be seen again.  Other than that, everything else has proven very durable.  Even the razors last for a week before even starting to go dull.  Oh, but go ahead and toss the suction cup holder that comes with the starter kit.  It's rubbish.  5. 

4) Price:  $8.47, Walmart.  That includes two razor blades.  A four-pack of blades is $10.47 at Walmart.  This is not terrible, considering my first razor lasted a year, and a four-pack of blades will last you a month.  7. 

All in all, 7.75 out of 10.  The only problem with the whole package is that one little pink button.  If they could just figure out a way to keep it in place, I'd remain a Schick customer.  For now, I'm looking for a new razor.

1 comment:

  1. i remember that well myself. it's CRAZY to think we hadn't even started 12th grade yet when that happened. time FLIES.

    and i agree 100% with the assessment of these two. even though the whole concept of a royal family is wildly outdated, in my humble little opinion, william seems to have a good attitude about it. he seems remarkably down to earth for someone who's going to be handed the crown of an entire realm or whatever soon.

    plus, i REALLY like her style. nice to see a girl dress for a high-profile engagement in such a classic dress. (and their engagement picture is about the cutest thing ever.)

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...