Monday, December 13, 2010

Sensational, Inspirational, Celebrational, MUPPET-ATIONAL!

This morning, I woke up to the sounds of Elmo.  There was a time, not too long ago, when that was pretty much the norm, but I don't live at home anymore, and my baby brother is almost a teenager.  I have to say, it's a little off-putting to be woken out of a dead sleep by the shrill-voiced giggly one.

Elmo's appearance on CBS's Early Show was just the latest event in a string of Muppet Madness in my house.  See, I've been sick as a dog all weekend.  Some sort of stomach bug latched on with a death grip, and has absolutely refused to let go.  I spent a good deal of last night laying on the couch, moaning softly and cursing whatever caused this ick.  Thomas, in a sweet attempt to make me feel better, rented the first season of The Muppet Show, so I've been weakly chuckling at Rita Moreno singing with Animal, Ruth Buzzi telling Sweetums he's "just too good to be true/can't take my eyes off of you", and the awesomeness that is Menomena (disc one, episode one.  Trust me).

The Muppets hold a special place in my heart--always have--and I can not wait for the Jason Segal Muppet movie next year.  With that, I was sorely disappointed to hear that usual Segal co-hort Paul Rudd will not be in the movie.  It had been rumored--nay, announced, even--that he would play the iPhone carrying roommate of Segal's human character in the film.  Unfortunately, Rudd confirmed with MTV News that he will not be appearing in the movie, and that the whole situation "really sucks".  He did jokingly mention that he'd love to do the sequel.
"I'm hoping for the 'Muppet Movie 2.' I'm playing Charles Grodin in 'Muppet 2: Electric Waterloo?' Beaker-loo?" he joked, before offering a truly game-changing suggestion: "Muppet Movie 2: The Muppets Are Still Taking Manhattan."

Even without Rudd onboard, I'm still really psyched for the movie.  Given Segal's previous screenwriter outing Forgetting Sarah Marshall (and its ridiculously funny Dracula puppet musical), and his steady gig on How I Met Your Mother, I feel the franchise--and my childhood memories--are in very capable hands. 

Now, can someone tell me why Scooter was in the first five episodes of The Muppet Show, and then on the sixth episode was introduced and treated like he'd never been there before?  That's been bugging me all day.

1 comment:

  1. oh, paul rudd. my beloved josh-from-clueless. but even his gorgeousness isn't enough to get me to see "how do you know" or whatever it's called.

    they filmed a lot of that up here in the metro area, since owen wilson's supposed to be a relief pitcher for the nationals. leaving that bit of hilarity aside (the nats don't have relief pitching!), the man's comment on my paul rudd drooling was, "good thing you didn't run into him while they were up here filming. he'd be too taken with you, and i'd hate to have to destroy something beautiful."

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...