Thursday, June 30, 2011

Breeze It, Buzz It, Blast It!: A Review and Stream of Conscious

Photo Credit: Sephora
About a week ago, I decided to be adventurous (and we all know how "adventurous" I am...) and try the Blasted nail polish that's new from Sephora by OPI. That is, I wanted to test out the new nail polish named Blasted, not that it was "that dagnabbit blasted nail polish." It's not blasted, it's just called Blasted...oh, I give up. You know what I mean.

Here's how it works: you paint a base color on your nails, wait for it to dry, then paint one (and only one) coat of Blasted on top. As Blasted dries, it will separate into patches of color, letting your base color shine through. Finish with a glossy clear top coat (optional, but definitely recommended).

The polish ($9.50, Sephora) is really cool. It actually does "blast" apart as it dries, and was neat to watch (yes, I just admitted to having fun watching paint dry). Blasted comes in several colors, including red, white, turquoise glitter, silver glitter, and gold glitter. I decided to go with what other reviewers had deemed the most versatile shade in the group, and the one that shows up best when "blasted", black. Hoo boy.

Photo Credit: Sephora
Let me start off by saying that I didn't hate it. I think I would prefer to try the gold glitter next time, as I think it would be amazing over a pretty bronze, but I don't hate the black polish. If you can rock the urban look, by all means, go for this. I think it'd look awesome over a neon purple (actually, I may try that). However, if you tend toward a more boho or classic look (like I do), this might look kind of silly alongside, say, a flowy tunic or crocheted Summer sweater. I have to say, rockstar nails and a choir robe was not my best look. However, a lot of that can be blamed on my choice of base color. I thought I pulled out hot pink to go under the black. I know, I know--my nails would be the envy of ever ten year-old girl on the planet. Anyhoo, I thought I pulled out hot pink. In truth, I'd pulled out a creamy, spicy red. Oops. In my defense, it was dark, the pull cord for the light was high up, and I am short. By the time I realized my mistake, three nails were done, and I didn't feel like starting over.

Once I got the black polish painted, and the nails did their blasted thing, I decided that the black over red wasn't terrible. It wasn't embarrassing, but it was...familiar. Where had I seen this look before? Blocks of black over a sea of red? Hmmm...
Photo Credit: Broadway World
Oh, yeah.

I've been humming "A Boy Like That" for days, now. Not that that's a bad thing, or anything. As far as earworms go, this one's actually kind of--MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The hunt for this image did lead me to a really cool Vanity Fair spread from 2009. If you've got a few minutes to spare and want to see some remarkably faithful recreations of scenes from the film version of West Side Story (with designer clothing and J.Lo, natch), I highly recommend surfing over to the site. It's an all-star cast, with the likes of Chris Evans (on the floor, right) and Robert Pattinson (back, right, with Brittany Snow) getting their 50s on.

Photo Credit: Vanity Fair

1 comment:

  1. Last third image was really awesome. Hatsoff to the photographer.

    Carlos Saunders
    rockstar nails

    ReplyDelete

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...