Friday, April 20, 2012

Frugal Friday: AAAAH! Real(ly Artistic) Monsters!

No codes today!! What is wrong with the world?! Down is up and round is square!! Oh, the humanity!!! As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!

*ahem*

I'm sorry. Please excuse my little outburst. It's been a very long morning.

Anyhoo, if any of you lovely readers out there are the artistic sort, I may have a fun project for you, courtesy of the folks over at Twisted Sifter. I was surfing around the interwebs today, and ran across this:

Photo Credit: Twisted Sifter, by artist Thyrza Segal
...and laughed my head off.

Thomas and I are frequent thrift store shoppers, and have spent more than our fair share of time digging through seemingly endless piles of bad "hotel room" still-life and "little old lady living room" landscapes. Most of the time, we're looking for frames or props, and the paintings are most likely discarded. These artists have taken those paintings and added new life to them by, well, adding monsters.

According to Twisted Sifter, the trick to making the work believable is matching the paint and texture of the original. The monster should look as if it has always been a part of the painting. It doesn't always work, but when it does, it's a really cool effect.
Photo Credit: Twisted Sifter, artist Chris McMahon
You know what, the next time I run across a deserted landscape in the bargain bin, I just might have to give this a shot. I'm nowhere near the artist these guys are, but if it turned out, think of the conversations a piece like this could start!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...