Monday, April 30, 2012

Challenge!: Easy-To-Do Ombre Nails

These days, you can't shake a stick at the Internet (though why you would, anyway, is beyond me) without hitting on the ombre nail trend. It's everywhere. There's even a whole Tumblr tag devoted to it. Apparently, this is big. Who knew? I can't even pronounce it.

The thing is, nifty neato mosquito as it may be (the kids are still saying that these days, right?), all the tutorials I've found have been, well, complicated. As in, "there is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks I'm ever going to have the time, talent, or patience to finish even one nail" complicated. There had to be an easier way!

Well, folks, there is. During one episode of Quantum Leap (with no commercial interruption), I was able to remove my existing polish, paint my toes, ombre (is that a verb? Is now!) my nails, clean up my mess, and snuggle with my husband and puppy. Yes, it truly is that easy. The key: really, really, really sheer, sparkly polish.

Photo Credit: Kaboodle

I used "You're An Angel" from Nicole by OPI. It's a very bright, glowy, coral-y pink in the bottle and when layered over several coats, but a ridiculously sheer, almost unwearable color after only two coats. Most of the time, it just lays around in my polish bag, but now, I finally had a good use for it.

I painted each of my nails with one coat. Then, starting with the first nail I'd painted, added a second coat starting about a quarter of the way up (your half moon is a good guide). After all nails had been painted, I added another layer, starting halfway up my nail. The final layer started on the last quarter of my nail, where the white tip would normally go on a French manicure. I did go back and add a second coat to the last three layers, but really didn't need to in hindsight. Use your judgement on that. The sparkles in the polish work to camoflauge the lines between layers. Here's what I ended up with:


Mind you, that's just a first attempt, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. Have any of you guys tried this trend? How'd it work out for you? Let me know in the comments, and pics if you've got 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your own ramblings, musings, or existential ponderings here--just keep it clean and keep it kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...